• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

PRK in the Air Force

Status
Not open for further replies.

greasysideup

If the rumors are true about ending PRK in the Navy take a serious look at both active duty Air Force and the Air National Guard. I am currently in the guard, have had PRK 1 yr ago and should get my waiver back sometime in the next few weeks to be eligible for flying. Most of the recruiters don't know that it is legal so keep calling until you get someone who does know. Check out the military forums on studentpilot.net for some great prk info as well.

Good luck and don't give up because someone tells you that youre not eligible for what ever reason. Keep calling until you find the information you know is true.

Josh

Tripp

You think you hate it now...
Greasy: does this apply to tactical aircraft? Or just transport category?

Also, has anyone heard anything about the AF requiring pilots to have technical degrees (i.e., science or engineering)? Some of my friends in AFROTC here at Auburn are getting screwed out of pilot slots b/c they're business majors.

An elite group of Girl Scouts armed with wiffle bats has just been deployed to France. Unconditional surrender is expected within 24 hours.

kabttu

That's interesting to know. I just talked with an AF recruiter on friday and was told that as of right now PRK is a disqualifier and that they have a 'study' going on with it right now much like the navy.

mimisoko9

I stumbled over two helpful AF sites over the weekend.

BaseOps.net & raptorpilot.com

They both have forums/message boards and might be helpful re: PRK.

greasysideup

There is no limit on what AC you can fly. As far as Tech degrees are concerned there is no requirement on your degree however it is extremely competitive right now to get in active duty. There are less people getting out and less people going in so they have unofffically "raised the bar" 2 years ago they couldn't fill the spots fast enough but now that its slowed down they are starting to narrow the field down - not to say its impossible with a non tech degree, just harder that a few years ago. You don't need to be ROTC to fly active duty or guard but within ROTC they compete against each other in a separate pool for X number of pilot slots. X more are for academy and then x more are for off the street. The guard has a totally separate pool in that you apply specifically for that unit and that aircraft and you compete only with those that apply to that unit. Bottem line - no matter what the odds, if you dont apply you have a 100% chance of not getting hired.

Take a look at https://www.afms.mil/aeromed/USAF_PRK.cfm and grab a copy of the waiver. I had to direct my recruiter and ultimately my Air Force eye doc to this site and "educate" them. There is so much stuff that comes out every year that they are overwhelmed by it and by the time they figure it out they are usually off to another assignment. There are specific pre and post op criteria to meet so pay careful attention to see about eligibility but I would definately give a copy of the waiver to your recruiter so he can begin to research it.

Not that the recruiters are bad guys, sometimes they just arent current on the latest waivers. Don't hesitate to call flight docs or any one else as well if that waiver doesn't convince him. Do a search on studentpilot.net under PRK and you will have a wealth of info.

Josh

Tripp

You think you hate it now...
Sch-weet.

Thanks for the info...
thumbup_125.gif
thumbup_125.gif

An elite group of Girl Scouts armed with wiffle bats has just been deployed to France. Unconditional surrender is expected within 24 hours.

kevin

greasy: thanks for the info. i know it's almost a requirement to have a ppl to get a slot for ocs or for the guard. do you know how one could get a ppl for any cheaper than the arm and a leg it costs now? someone mentioned civil air patrol, but im not sure how that would work. did you get your slot for the guard yet? it's even tougher getting that than an ocs slot (by far! usually 1 out of 100-200 apps). usually they only take people out of their own units. what was your situation?

kevin

greasysideup

Flying is expensive thats for sure. Civil air patrol is a great route, there are several scholarships available but probably the cheapest way is to get a job working the line at a flight school or FBO. They will usually give you the plane for cost and you can make friends with instructors who might teach for free. If you do take flying lessons it sometimes pays to find your own instructor that you can pay cash to, rather than paying the FBO a cut of what your paying for instruction. Another option is to buy a block of hours and you can usually work out a reduced rate. Most units like you to have a PPL but for some its not required but reccomended. They know its expensive and one of the questions I always got was how did you pay for your flying. They also know the dedication it takes and how difficult it is to juggle working , school and flying and they like to see how you can handle it since AF training is is such a high workload. I do however know of people hired with less than 10 hours so it can be done.

I got a fighter slot late last year and am currently waiting to go to training. I interviewed at 7 places over two years before I was picked up - I had no ties to the unit at all. Some people I know were picked up their first interview, others had 14 before they were selected. If you're young enough though and have time to enlist in the unit it is a great way to go. Many of the interviews I went to did go to people in that unit - they had an ongoing 2 year interview that is hard to compete with. Its also a great way to pay for school. I would have done it that way but at the time they werent accepting PRK. It is a long process but everything that is worth doing has a wait.

contrail_dash

I was in AFROTC for about 3 years, I acutally had the AF surgeon general's office mail me copies of the offical USAF PRK "standards" and waiver proceedure after they made it offical. Even after I showed it to the officers at my unit, they still refused to let me begin the waiver process, said that until they recieved the forms then it wasn't official AF policy. They also were pushing technical majors pretty bad, but I found out that over 80% of the pilots in the AF have non-tech majors...so go figure.

19873016.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.