• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

PRK and OCS

Status
Not open for further replies.

dcassidy

I have been speaking with a Marine recruiter and I am looking to apply to OCS. However, I have to get PRK first. Does anybody have any info regarding the specific requirements that I need to have before (number of doctor visits, vision requirements etc), and also what my requirements are afterwards? Has anybody on this board gone through with PRK?
Thanks.

megrey06

Kingsville
I'm not sure what differences there are between the USMC and Navy requirements, but it looks like the Navy guys with PRK have had a 90-day wait time b/t surgery and submitting their request for a waiver. My understanding is that the process is done on a case-by-case basis, so be sure to verify everything prior to going under the "laser beam".

If you do a PRK search on this board, you'll find a lot of good info already out there.

-Matt

marti

The following is an address to the NOMI/NAMI web page if you look under opthamology and PRK it will tell you the exact standards that the Navy and Marine Corps go by. http://www.nomi.med.navy.mil/Nami/WaiverGuideTopics/ophthalmology.htm#lasik

kmc9280

I have gone through PRK. I am applying for flight school and everything is going according to plan so far. The key is crossing your t's and dotting your I's. There is a list of requirements on the NOMI opthamology webpage that is helpful but some you won't understand (like diopters). The requirements really aren't that picky. The waiting period is 90 days before a waiver can be submitted and they take there time so plan on it being a while. Both eyes cannot be done at the same time so you will have quite a few doctor visits. I will tell you it is well worth it if you follow all instructions from your doctor. I am 20/15 now doing well after 5 months. It takes about a month for the vision to come around and it's really not very painful.

Kevin

chadspec

Kevin, what was your prescription pre-surgery? How much did the procedure cost? Do you have any halos or night-vision effects?? I'm debating right now whether to go SNFO or have PRK and go SNA. My spherical refraction is nearly perfect, buy my cylindrical is -1.50 diopters in each eye (the SNA limit is equal to or better than -1.00).

chad
chad@specphysics.com

kmc9280

The contacts I wore before the surgury were -1.25 and -1.5, I don't know exactly what my vision was but I think it was about 20/200. My night vision is perfect and I don't see any halos. My eyes are a little dry in the mornings when I wake up but I just use tears eye drops or deal with it for a few minutes until they moisten. The total cost was $3000 but they put me on a 24 month payment plan of $66 per month. This included all doctors visits and the surgury. I'm not sure what my diopters were exactly but they were within range as well as the eye pressure and other specifics. There was a maradmin released to all OSO's about all factors including diopters extremes, etc. I just took that in to my eye doctor and we went from there. It kind of sucks because only one eye is done at a time but I wouldn't take anything back.

Kevin

jet_ifr

I had PRK two months ago on the 28th of Aug, and man am I happy with it! I was at OCS this summer and got a hernia and was dropped from training (sucked), was on an NFO contract and figured flying's better than riding in the back so I got my eyes fixed. I'm getting re-cycled in January, provided I pass the flight physical in Oct. A few words of wisdom though, don't get both eyes done at the same time. I had my hernia fixed on a Thursday and got my eyes zapped the next Friday (one week after) and was in a world of pain. I couldn't sit up or move very fast and couldn't see anything. Plus you have to put antibiotics and steriod drops in your eyes about every 2-3 hours for 4-5 days post PRK surgery and they sting like crazy. At night I had to put this greasy antibiotic ointment IN my eyes on the bottom lid and that stuff drove me nuts, I couldn't sleep b/c it stung so badly. Check your pre-surgery correction against the Bumed/Nomi's waiting period and plan accordingly. I was a -4.50L and -4.70R pre-PRK and am now seeing 20/20-0L and 20/20-1R. I had dry-eye syndrome for about 3-4 weeks after surgery, but now only use re-wetting drops when I get up in the AM. I had some problems with halos and night vision early on, but as my eyes have been healing I'm noticing my halos are virtually gone. One thing I've noticed is that my vision is sharpest when I wake up and is proportional to the amount of sleep I get the night before. I paid $3760 total, which includes "adjustments" free for two years if needed. One other tidbit, investigate what kind of laser machine your doctor uses, I found an FDA website that listed statistics for each type of machine and the side effects that patients had post surgery. There are machines being used that up to 80% of patients list night vision/halos problems up to 18 months post-op. It was more expensive for me to find the best laser in town vs. the lowest cost procedure, but well worth it in my opinion.

dcassidy

Thanks for the info guys, very helpful. For those of you that got the surgery completed successfully, what was the process for you? My recruiter suggested that I get my physical first, so that I know that I am medically qualified before I go under the laser. I want to know if I should do that, or just get the surgery. Also, what do I have to do? Just get the surgery and have the eye doctor submit paperwork of my post-op refraction? Anyone had this procedure done in New York and can recommend a doc? I have a doctor now, but i want to make sure that i don't get the procedure completed and then find out that I can't get a waiver because I forgot to get complete documentation preoperatively. As always, thanks in advance for any info.

kmc9280

This is exactly what I did. First, I took all the NOMI standards into my eye doc to make sure I met NOMI qual's. I had already had my MEPS physical but not my flight I. I knew that I wanted to get the surgury either way though. If you are only doing it to fly then get the flight physical first. Anyway, I went down for my flight physical about 4 months after I had PRK. I took all my post-op stuff from my doc to the flight surgeon. I passed everything and he then put together a waiver request for it. I put in for the waiver before I submitted so I knew that the PRK waiver wasn't an issue in being selected. I'm waiting on the waiver now so I'll let you know how it goes. My OSO said I should hear something this week and the flight surgeon said there was no reason I should get the waiver, everything looked good. Just be careful that you go by the book and you will be fine.

Kevin

kmc9280

Jet,
I was told it was held up by district for a while but it's in P-cola now. The OSO called me last Monday and told me that they needed a 12 hr. blood sugar test, a couple eye tests and another blood pressure check that were not performed at the flight physical. I finished everything today and faxed it back to the OSO so I should hear something very soon according to them. "Supposedly" that's all that was holding it up- everything should be fine. I'll drop a line when I hear, that's all that is holding up my app. for 182.

Kevin

Status
Not open for further replies.