• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

PRK after USMC Commissioning

kj2008

I went to OCS last summer with an air contract. I took my flight physical in september and failed my eye exam. Does anyone know if it is possible for me to commission on time on may 10th as a ground contract (cant commission with air contract if you didn't pass the flight physical), get prk immediately after commissioning, and then switch back to air contract prior to heading to tbs in September/October? Very confusing, but with all the time between commissioning may 10th and reporting to tbs in September/october it leaves a perfect amount of time for prk. Please let me know what you all think.

2ndGen

Third times a charm
I wouldn't do anything without talking to your OSO. See what he/she thinks and go form there. Did you lose your air contract after the flight physical?

kj2008

I have a call into my OSO and am waiting to hear back. I started this thread so that I could be armed with some ideas/information when I speak to him. I didn't lose the air contract because I have the option of gettng prk. It's a matter of pushing back my commissioning which I'd rather not do and doesn't make sense to do if I could get prk in the 4 months between commissioning and tbs.

GO_AV8_DevilDog

Round 2...
Contributor
I have a call into my OSO and am waiting to hear back. I started this thread so that I could be armed with some ideas/information when I speak to him. I didn't lose the air contract because I have the option of gettng prk. It's a matter of pushing back my commissioning which I'd rather not do and doesn't make sense to do if I could get prk in the 4 months between commissioning and tbs.

The problem with that is that you cannot get PRK waivered until 6 months after the surgery.

6mo > 4mo

torpedo0126

The problem with that is that you cannot get PRK waivered until 6 months after the surgery.

6mo > 4mo

doesn't it depend on how bad your eyes were? mine were only -1.25 and -1.5 and I was eligble for the waiver after 3 months.

I would pull it up, except the NAMI website is not cooperating.

GO_AV8_DevilDog

Round 2...
Contributor
doesn't it depend on how bad your eyes were? mine were only -1.25 and -1.5 and I was eligble for the waiver after 3 months.

could be

though I was under the impression that for SNA it was 6 months, at least that's what I gathered from recent PRK discussions.

I could be wrong though

kj2008

From the waiver guide:

PRK:
General guidelines:
1. A waiver may be submitted no earlier than:
a. 3 months for myopia less than -6.00 diopters spherical equivalent (SE)
b. 6 months for myopia greater than or equal to -6.00 diopters SE
c. 6 months for hyperopia (SE) measured under cycloplegia

I believe I would incur a 6-month wait time after trying to analyze my eye exam documents. I'd still be interested to know if anyone has done this, however.

nugget61

pilot

Yes and no - see below.

From the waiver guide:

PRK:
General guidelines:
1. A waiver may be submitted no earlier than:
a. 3 months for myopia less than -6.00 diopters spherical equivalent (SE)
b. 6 months for myopia greater than or equal to -6.00 diopters SE
c. 6 months for hyperopia (SE) measured under cycloplegia

I believe I would incur a 6-month wait time after trying to analyze my eye exam documents. I'd still be interested to know if anyone has done this, however.

I thought the same thing (-1.25&-1.00) but I was denied the 3 month waiver. Called NAMI, got a FS that does PRK waivers and he said that the 3 months only applies to those currently in, 6 months for ALL applicants.