• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Priors, out of rate acceptance

Jacksa71

I am seeing how many priors got accepted into the intel officer community who were not doing intel-related jobs. Currently, working in the aviation community and weighing other options besides pilot and NFO. I was going to submit for AMDO, but the OCM told me (in the nicest way possible) that I am not competitive enough due to TIS. If you were out of rate and got accepted, do you mind providing some guidance on how you went about it?

Also, for the pre-nomination for commissioning with the special security officer, is that done prior to submission or after.

FormerRecruitingGuru

Making Recruiting Great Again
Short answer: It's possible.

I've seen non-IWC rates apply and be selected for IWC officer programs. You need to come through the respective program authorizations? Do you meet the specific qualifications? Cool. Now... do you EXCEED and have your own qualifications that would make you a serious applicant? That's the tough questions that you need to answer. Intel and the other IWC boards are extremely tough... (1) small quotas, (2) a high supply of applicants and (3) tying to #2, it has the highest age limit for OCS programs (so your 35 year old guy/gal that doesn't qualify for other programs can only apply for this).

Another issue that you mentioned, your TIS. That's a red flag for many communities in terms of potential and growth. Realize if you commissioned today (with 11 years of active service in your belt), you are retirement eligible in 10 years. That's a risk for officer communities who like to grow their officers and give them the opportunity to serve 15-20+ years (filling those O-4/XO and O-5/CO milestone billets) until retirement eligible.

Without knowing your stats and going off your age... maybe aviation might be a fit and possibly IWC. Otherwise, I would encourage looking at LDO / CWO if your overall goal is to commission, regardless of designator.

Jacksa71

Degree in aeronautics
Have taken four international relations college courses for upper level requirements.
Started taking Foreign langauge college courses (Japanese) for personal use.
GPA 3.1
Ep. Ep. Ep. Mp. ( screw up right before evals) Mp.
Four NAMs. One FLOC
OAR: 51
No background in IWC. Will start my masters soon which I could add the speciality field to cyber something if it could help for selection.

Last edited:
I am seeing how many priors got accepted into the intel officer community who were not doing intel-related jobs. Currently, working in the aviation community and weighing other options besides pilot and NFO. I was going to submit for AMDO, but the OCM told me (in the nicest way possible) that I am not competitive enough due to TIS. If you were out of rate and got accepted, do you mind providing some guidance on how you went about it?

Also, for the pre-nomination for commissioning with the special security officer, is that done prior to submission or after.
What is your TIS? Why is AMDO a longshot?

Jacksa71

I’ll be at 11 at the end of the year. Which they can only assume that I will not stay pass 20 to do two DH tours. Almost all designators want people under 8 years in. There is only one spot left to fill for FY22.

exNavyOffRec

Degree in aeronautics
Have taken four international relations college courses for upper level requirements.
Started taking Foreign langauge college courses (Japanese) for personal use.
GPA 3.1
Ep. Ep. Ep. Mp. ( screw up right before evals) Mp.
Four NAMs. One FLOC
OAR: 51
No background in IWC. Will start my masters soon which I could add the speciality field to cyber something if it could help for selection.
A Master's that you get a high GPA in will stand out. What could kill you is the dip in your evals, IWC is a smaller designator and really looks at everything.
I’ll be at 11 at the end of the year. Which they can only assume that I will not stay pass 20 to do two DH tours. Almost all designators want people under 8 years in. There is only one spot left to fill for FY22.
That one left for AMDO in FY 22 isn't really 1 left, that is for OCS selection goal which they always plan to go over to meets shipping goal, so that means they probably have everyone identified for FY 22 and the last one will likely be in FY 23.