• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Prior Service BLS Retirement

donte9235

FYI
For any mustangs out there I found out today that we ARE grandfathered into the old retirement system thankfully. You may be able to opt in to the new system if you so choose.

donte9235

"Our records indicate you have the opportunity to make this choice because you had fewer than 12 years of service or had fewer than 4,320 retirement points as of December 31, 2017."

"The first opportunity to elect to enroll in the Blended Retirement System is reflected in your BRS record in NSIPS. You will have approximately 35 days from the --1st day eligible to elect-- date to make your election."

So it looks like there isn't a hard stop date to opt-in for new commissions.

Meyerkord

pilot
Ah I should have specified for new commissions we still have a choice.
And to further clarify, it's only new commissions with prior service. Anyone joining the military for the first time will not have an option to be in the old system anymore.

beckstcw

How do I do this? I had 10 years prior Army Guard service and do bor want the blended system, but the Navy think I just joined the military for the first time in 2018.

beckstcw

You have to opt in to the blended system
Yeah, I thought so too. The Navy systems don't reflect my Army service at the moment, so I'm in the BRS for the time being because to the Navy's eyes I joined the military after the cutoff date to opt in/out.

Ah, I see the typo in my first post. I do NOT want the BRS.

Last edited:

Jim123

DD-214 in hand and I'm gonna party like it's 1998
pilot
Just stay on it with the admin shop and your chain of command. That's going to be a lot of paperwork to unscrew, they probably can't directly fix it at their level, and probably none of them have any direct experience fixing this particular issue, so it might take weeks or months.

Pay and admin people are often most afraid of doing something without proper authorization (i.e. where it spells out in some instruction what you're supposed to do) or of doing something the wrong way, more than they are of doing something late but doing in the right way.

But my point is you should be polite but also be persistent.