• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Prior flight experience vs. IFS

Status
Not open for further replies.

jthomps1

In response to some prior posts regarding flight experience prior to API/Primary...

I am currently in "waiting" status with an OCS date of Oct 4, 2003. I have an SNA slot, and a lot of time on my hands, but money is always a concern...especially when talking about multiple thousands of dollars for a private license (when I've heard some people suggest 'against' it).

I have heard strong viewpoints from both sides (prior time a huge plus vs. not too beneficial) and my main question is: now that IFS is mandatory after OCS and prior to API, is that 25 hours of flight time going to be enoungh to keep me 'on top of the game'? Or would it still be worthwhile for me to get flight time now (even though the Navy will be paying for (the same)training at IFS.

Bottom line...if I currently have no flight experience, wouldn't it make most sense to wait a couple more months and have the Navy give me that experience in IFS?

Any comments would be a great help. Thanks for taking the time! -JT

farkle84

if money is a concern, i would just wait for the navy to pay for it. trust me, PPL is not very cheap. its cost me a lot of freaking money. but its something i want to do.

kmac

Coffee Drinker
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Only an echo, but if money is a concern then let the Navy pay for it. One thing to consider is how much flight time you would get at your school of choosing (aka in/near your hometown) versus the 25 hours the Navy will spend. Keep in mind that you can gain more civilian hours from the same school that you get IFS from.

Prior flight time is not required to do well in primary. However, the majority of people with high grades have prior time. I don't know if it's the actual flight time that helps people or if the prior time is just an example of the passion they have for aviation. If the latter is the case, then these same people study harder/more during flight training and will do well.

As far as monkey skills go, I've only seen one guy attrite for not gaining the monkey skills. His studying was rock solid. It was really unfortunate. The bottom line: it's how you study and perform in primary that sets you at the "top of the game," not what you do previously. Sure my private license was a benefit to me, but I would say that my years in college perfecting study habits were even more critical to performance.

Good luck! -Kevin

jthomps1

KMAC and Farkle,

Thanks for the input. I think I'm leaning toward IFS only (don't think I would have enough cash to get all the way through for my PPL). I'll try taking advantage of IFS, and bank on my studying abilities the rest of the way!
Thanks again for the help! JT

Dave Shutter

jthomps1...I've met scores of SNA's now who've gone through IFS and are now in Primary, I never did it because at the time any flight time (let alone 25+ solo) was a disqualifier. Their feedback is that it makes a huge difference vs. just showing up at Primary with a few USAir hops under their belts. The summation I get is that they do mostly basic stuff in one of the dinkiest planes on Earth (Piper Trauma-hawk) but that it is a huge confidence builder as well as an eye-opener to the mechanics of taking a plane from point A to point B all by your lonesome. Their much more aware of what the training will require and feel like it helped enormously. I thing everything your looking for you'll find at IFS, along with a ton of stuff and hours for free. Best of luck!

IFR FLYR

I would reccomend nickel and diming your flight lessons because lets face it, what you get will be based primarily on how well you do and the needs of the navy. Any little bit of flying you can achieve will help.
Once you start flying for the NAV you eventually will have to do the Instrument protion etc(6 T's ILS VOR/DME and the list goes on. If you don't know what a VOR is or how to pick up ATIS you're already behind the power curve shipmate. I'd also encourage getting FS2002 PE.
It's your future and your investment.

Fight to fly, fly to fight, fight to win.

good luck
IFR FLYR

EA-6B1

PLC Jrs 1st Inc. Kilo-3
Anyone know if Marine SNA's have to take IFS? From my understanding, I thought Marine SNA's were already on a flight contract and once they pass PLC Srs the Corps would pay for 25 free flight hours. Is this being substituted by IFS now? If so, does it come between TBS and API? How long does IFS take? I'm with everyone else about waiting for the military to pay for 25 fligh hours.

Whatever you do, work at it with all your heart, as working for the Lord, not for men.
-Col.3:23-

Banjo33

AV-8 Type
pilot
Yes, Marines will do IFS now, upon graduating from TBS (and before API). IFS is the free 25 hours. But, don't think that HQ won't use that time to evaluate your motivation and success within the IFS program. Your instructor will have to fill out log sheets with mandatory comment sections and progress evaluations that will have to be sent in to HQ periodically. If you can't fly their Cessna, you're not going to fly the Marine Corps airplanes! IFS should take between 1 or 2 months. You'll probably fly at least 3 times a week for an hour or two.

EA-6B1

PLC Jrs 1st Inc. Kilo-3
If I go ahead and get my PPL will I have to go through IFS? What base is IFS held at? During IFS, what do you when you're not flying? Thanks.

Whatever you do, work at it with all your heart, as working for the Lord, not for men.
-Col.3:23-

kmac

Coffee Drinker
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Dave, what was the time frame when you went by IFS (as opposed to being in IFS)? When I was stashed there, one of my jobs was to check the FAA records to see if anyone had more than just a student certificate. If they did not have anything higher than that, then they were still qualified for IFS. This included at least one individual with flight time but no PPL.

EA6B, going through the IFS is equivalent to a stash job. Except for Marines (who may have extra duties), the Navy personnel don't have anything else to do (as far as a stash job goes). Otherwise you could make the excuse that you did not have enough time to complete the IFS syllabus.

Status
Not open for further replies.