• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

~Prior Enlisted USN, VA rating 70%, trying to go back-in as an Officer~

Status
Not open for further replies.

ORP_Jozef_Unrung

GO Brown Water Navy !
I am trying to go back to active duty and go to OCS but I've been classified with 70% disability by the VA (three seperate classifications ). Also, I have a 4 year degree, I meet the Navy physical standards and honestly the only obstacle is the VA%. I've been working with the civilian doctors to get cleared because VA would not give me the clearance letters. If I get cleared do I have any passing chances at MEPS ?!
Any help/advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

FormerRecruitingGuru

Making Recruiting Great Again
I am trying to go back to active duty and go to OCS but I've been classified with 70% disability by the VA (three seperate classifications ). Also, I have a 4 year degree, I meet the Navy physical standards and honestly the only obstacle is the VA%. I've been working with the civilian doctors to get cleared because VA would not give me the clearance letters. If I get cleared do I have any passing chances at MEPS ?!

30% or higher is a disqualifier.

Griz882

Frightening children with the Griz-O-Copter!
pilot
Contributor
3 separate classifications means you worked hard to get that 70% rating. Now you’re saying “Just kidding I’m not really that disabled”. Wouldn’t that be fraud?
I wouldn't go that far, but but @RecruitingGuru is right, over 30% and you are disqualified. Moreover, the VA rarely backs away from their work.

FormerRecruitingGuru

Making Recruiting Great Again
I wouldn't go that far, but but @RecruitingGuru is right, over 30% and you are disqualified. Moreover, the VA rarely backs away from their work.

I would. I've heard of stories of the VA asking for their disability claims back when folks try to suspend or reduce their disability percentage. Once you suspend it, I believe you can't apply to "re-claim" your coverage.

In the end, the Navy doesn't want to take someone with a high VA disability who could potentially not be able to serve or IF he is able to serve, reach 100% coverage.

Hotdogs

I don’t care if I hurt your feelings
pilot
3 separate classifications means you worked hard to get that 70% rating. Now you’re saying “Just kidding I’m not really that disabled”. Wouldn’t that be fraud?

Hey dick, the vast majority of my generation has been fighting your generations bullshit wars. Unlike your unnoteworthy peacetime career we actually have a shit ton of legitimate disabled personnel getting out these days because they actually fought in a conflict. Ease off on assuming VA fraud until you know the full story.

HAL Pilot

None
Contributor
Hey dick, the vast majority of my generation has been fighting your generations bullshit wars. Unlike your unnoteworthy peacetime career we actually have a shit ton of legitimate disabled personnel getting out these days because they actually fought in a conflict. Ease off on assuming VA fraud until you know the full story.
Hey dumbass...

I got green ink during Desert Storm, Provide Comfort, Somalia and Bosnia. I also had more than a few old timeWW2 type AA guns fire at me over Rwanda/Zaire/Congo in 1996 doing EO ops over that shit storm tracking refugees and the civil wars (after the 5th time in 8 flights they sent in an AC-130 to start blasting them).

But I'm glad you're so full of yourself and think you're the greatest war hero around.

It’s also just awesome how you belittle the service of an entire generation of military personnel.

Last edited:

HAL Pilot

None
Contributor
we actually have a shit ton of legitimate disabled personnel getting out these days because they actually fought in a conflict.
VA disablity ratings are for permanent disabilities. Permanent disabilities don’t just heal themselves because you want to go back on active duty. He applied for his permanent disabilities 3 times. That requires deliberate action on his part. Now saying “just kidding’...that means he is lying about the disabilities - either about ever having them or about not having them to go back on active duty. I.e. fraud.

If the OP had said “I have a 70% VA disability rating, can I get a waiver to return to active duty”, that would have been different. But that’s not what he says he’s trying to do.

Last edited:

Hotdogs

pilot
VA disablity ratings are for permanent disabilities. Permanent disabilities don’t just heal themselves because you want to go back on active duty. He applied for his permanent disabilities 3 times. That requires deliberate action on his part. Now saying “just kidding’...that means he is lying about the disabilities - either about ever having them or about not having them to go back on active duty. I.e. fraud.

If the OP had said “I have a 70% VA disability rating, can I get a waiver to return to active duty”, that would have been different. But that’s not what he says he’s trying to do.

Because the VA hasn’t messed up paperwork or disability ratings in the past... Ok so you don’t know the full story and are making vast assumptions about the characterization of the OP’s service. Glad we sorted that out.

Hotdogs

pilot
I got green ink during Desert Storm, Provide Comfort, Somalia and Bosnia. I also had more than a few old timeWW2 type AA guns fire at me over Rwanda/Zaire/Congo in 1996 doing EO ops over that shit storm tracking refugees and the civil wars (after the 5th time in 8 flights they sent in an AC-130 to start blasting them).

TYFYS.

AULANI

Even if you had just 30% disability, the docs are going to go through everything in your past medical record with a fine tooth comb. When I came back in I had to explain-away every single broken bone, sprain, dislocation, allergy, etc. that I had in the past to prove that I wasn't going to be a medical burden to the DOD and that I would be able to deploy. My wife is a doctor in the Navy and she told me that the Navy's medical side is super focused on making sure sailors are deployment ready. Any boo-boo you had in the past, no matter how minor (in my case) or how serious (in your case) is going to get scrutinized.

Recovering LSO

Suck Less
pilot
Contributor
Let's be careful shitting on people for how they've maneuvered disability ratings with the VA when some of us are also members of various labor unions. It might get hard to keep a straight face.

Anyhow, it seems like @RecruitingGuru answered the question that was asked.

Status
Not open for further replies.