• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Prior Enlisted Marine with a question

Status
Not open for further replies.

rezfletch

I just had a quick question for you guys. I am prior enlisted with the Marines and served five years of active duty and then was honorably discharged. I put my application in for PLC-183 this summer and I am crossing my fingers. I was wondering how much they look at prior enlisted at the board, do we get extra recognition or not? Another question is I'm 27 with a 300 PFT, but my GPA is a 2.5, do you think this will be a factor? My OSO told me that they are really hurting for people from my region (Ohio), and that I should have nothing to worry about. I just wanted to get everyone else's opinion if you have one. Here are my stats:

ASTB: Passed, not sure what the score was
GPA: 2.5
PFT: 300
Degree: Computer Science(graduate next year)

Thanks guys for your time if you read this and Semper Fi!!

FrogFly

Knibb High Football Rules!
I too am prior-enlisted (Navy) and am currently in the PLC program. Although the requirements for different programs may vary, you can make a comparison and draw your own conclusions. I'll begin by saying that I think you're in there. The emphasis during my application process was always on the PFT (I ran a 280). Your ASTB score, as long as it was passing, didn't appear to be a variable in whether or not you contracted for air. Besides, I KNOW the Marine Corps is hurting for Air Contracts, Females, and Law options. Ground slots appear to be more competetive now. However, I believe with your PFT score you'd probably be a shoe-in for ground also, but I digress... Your prior enlisted experience will be taken into account, but remember that it's not everything. As you probably know, it's much more difficult to get picked up for a commissioning program in the fleet and all the applicants have prior-enlisted experience. Moreover, if your district is hurting for qualified candidates, I'd say that's another big thing you have going for you, given that the 183 slots aren't extremely close to being filled. Anyhow, I tried to filter out as much speculation as I could, but it's difficult to reply to your post without being somewhat subjective I suppose. To sum it up: Again, I think you're in there! Good luck. Hopefully I'll bump into you this summer while I'm at Sr.'s.

Banjo33

AV-8 Type
pilot
I think based on your prior service and PFT score your chances are VERY good. The gpa is borderline, but you've got the two previous mentioned items backing you up. Don't get concerned if not accepted this time. It seems as though you were pushing the cut off (deadline) getting your package in. Sometimes classes fill up months in advance too. Anyway, good luck and Semper Fi!

steviey

Also, your age may play a factor. The age cut off is, for an aviation contract, you must have completed your degree and have your package submited by 27 years old (latest). From what you said before you won't complete your degree until 28, if not then disreguard. Now as we both know,(I'm also prior enlisted Marine), there are wavers for everything, so if they are hurting over there, then you may get lucky!

Banjo33

AV-8 Type
pilot
I thought prior enlisted got an age extension? I had like 4 guys in my platoon at TBS that were 30. (All but one were prior enlisted --- the one that wasn't was a law contract.) I don't know if it's something you have to waver for, but don't let it discourage you --- if you need it, they'll get it for you.

rezfletch

My OSO just called me yesterday in order for me to fill out the waiver. All I had to do was write a statement that explained why I believed I was physically fit enough to go through OCS. There is an age extension if you are prior enlisted but you still have to write the statement.

Appreciate all of your support and thanks to those that replied back.

Status
Not open for further replies.