• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Primary in FL or TX?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Michaela

So it's my understanding that SNA's may be sent to NAS Whiting Field or NAS Corpus Christi? I have just assumed I'd be in FL for the next couple years, but what are the chances of being sent to TX? Any advantages/disadvantages?

Michaela

OCS in Jan!

Michaela

Hey, thanks. Found some good info in the "files". However, nothing about when we find out where we're going to be sent. During what phase of or how long after OCS?

-Michaela

OCS in Jan!

Dawgfan

Pending
pilot
You'll be able to put in your choice on where you WANT to go in the 9th week of OCS, at the API brief. You'll get plenty of chances to change your preference in A-Pool. As I just found out, however, your preference is just that. The Navy will do their best to send you where you want to go, but if nobody wants to go to either Corpus or Whiting they'll draft people. The Thursday before you class up for API you'll find out for sure where you're going. You'll get orders in the fifth or sixth week. If you get Corpus, you'll be expected to be in Corpus the Monday following graduation. Of course, you'll have to stop in New Orleans on the way there, but that can't be helped. It just can't be helped.

EODDave

The pastures are greener!
pilot
Super Moderator
Hi all,

I talked to the flight management folks at Pcola on Monday. (Lt Ulmer) He said that its pretty much up to where each individual wants to go. If you want CC youve got it or if you want Vance or Whiting its your choice.

Dave

Dawgfan

Pending
pilot
quote:
If you want CC youve got it or if you want Vance or Whiting its your choice.

I wanted Whiting, and I'm going to Corpus. I classed up last week. Maybe as supply of new API students slows down you'll be assured your choice.

Jeff

Your prefrence really is just that, your prefrence. They get a list for each wing every week telling them how many SNAs they need. Right now I know Corpus is taking all they can get, as far as Whiting and Vance I have no clue.
As far as Corpus vs. P-Cola, it all depends. I have been in Corpus since July and have yet to really see or do much here. Aside from go out to a bar on Friday night or something all I really do is study and fly. For me I just figured i had already lived in P-cola for a while, I may as well try something new. As far as one over the other I don't really have a prefrence, aside from here in Copus you can live on the beach (granted not as nice as P-Cola's) and still be five minutes from the base, rather than 30 minutes from Whiting. Also, you are going to be so buisy with studying and flying in Primary, it won't really make all that much of a difference where you go.

webmaster

The Grass is Greener!
pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Dave,

I was stationed in both places (for Primary in Pcola, and Advanced T44s in Corpus), and I personally like Pcola a lot better. And so did my family. Not to say I didn't have a good time in good ole south "hot" Texas, but.... There are fun things to do in Corpus, but it involves driving to San Antonio for a long weekend! They have some good deals at the BOQs up there, and the River Walk can be a happening place, and fun for the family. Personally, I just missed the Pcola beaches, but wanting P3s, I really didn't have a choice in the matter, I had to go to Corpus. My 2 cents...

EODDave

The pastures are greener!
pilot
Super Moderator
Thanks John,

Man I have been having a tuff time on the Jets vs P3 decesion. I know that I am a long way from that choice, but I have jets runnin in my veins. Must be from my Dad (AF F-16 pilot 24yrs). Damn

Hows Hawaii?

Dave

webmaster

The Grass is Greener!
pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Dave, Hawaii is great, but right now I am on predeployment leave for two weeks, and flew back to Florida to visit family and friends. I head back next Sunday, and off to "war" so to speak. We shall see. But Hawaii has been awesome the last three months, can't believe how much it has changed since I was there last in '95. Been spending a lot of time at the beach, when I haven't been busy qualifying, knocking out PQS, getting ready for deployment, and handling my ground job (legal officer).

As for the jets vs. P3 decision, I hear you, I faced the same thing. But I am personally VERY happy with my decision, the P3 is a great plane to fly, a good community to be in, and now that I am finally at the "end" of my training, I can also say I enjoy the mission. Nothing like flying around at 200-300' feet over the water in a big old airplane. Every time we go out I have seen pods of whales and dolphins around Hawaii, pretty kewl. Oh well, that is about it. Later.

Jack

John - Good to hear that you are doing well in Hawaii. I'm sure its not nearly as fun as Meridian though, yeah right!

In response to the Jets vs P3s queation: John supplied one side and I'll do what I can to shed some info on the other.

I'm in Advanced Jets in Meridian and having a blast. I just got done with two months of instensive instrument training and am now the proud owner of a shiny new 'cloud card'. With all that 'fun' behind me I've started FAMs and really enjoying the training. Choosing jets is definitely not for everyone - I wasn't sure until after I'ld been here a while that it was for me. I enjoy the single seat mentality that this training is built around. The prospect of fighting my way into a target - destroying it and coming back to the boat is very exciting.

Don't get to wrapped up about what you want to fly too early in your training. Most people end up loving the aircraft they end up flying.

Florida - Florida State this weekend! Go GATORS!

jack

jec

Status
Not open for further replies.