• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Preparing for OCS

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jeff

I am trying to be as prepared as I can for OCS, but I really don't know what to do to prepare. I am in pretty good shape. After going down and seeing some of the Candidate Officers a few months ago I am not concerned to much with the physical aspect of OCS. I have read the info on this sight and I have a packet from my recruiter on things to memorize. Should I be very concerned with learning all of these things prior to leaving or just wait and go in very ignorant and let them teach me everything. I guess I am just not to concerned with OCS, and I would rather spend my time preparing well enough ahead for API and Primary. Am I wrong in my thinking or should I be taking OCS more seriously?

Thanks

webmaster

The Grass is Greener!
pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Jeff,

That is great that you are thinking and planning ahead. I can't really offer any advice with regards to OCS, since I went through the NROTC program, but basically as with all programs, it is a cram course used to indoctrinate you in to the ways of the Navy. I would imagine that your time will be at a premium during OCS and it might be better to memorize items now in your free time, I don't know exactly what is in your packet (possibly rank structure, chain of command, general orders, UCMJ, core values, and the list goes on...??)

Depending how familiar you are with the Navy, and with the information in the packet that was given to you will probably help decide how much time you spend on it. Maybe Matt or one of the other OCS guys can shed some light here for you, I am just making an educated guess based on my experiences in the Navy and when I went through the Naval Science Institute in Rhode Island, (the knife and fork school, equivalent to OCS that us Enlisted Commissioning Program people have to go to prior to NROTC).

As for studying ahead for API and Primary, that's great, but also pace yourself and take each hurdle at a time. More than likely you are going to have time between OCS and API, and then again between API and Primary, the infamous "pools". After OCS and when you check into API, get your books and start working ahead on the ELOs (questions at the end of each chapter) and that should more than get you ahead of the power curve, and make things easier for you during API. As for Primary, it is a good idea to get your hands on some Emergency Procedure Flash Cards (which can be found at Wings, an Aviation Specialty store in Pensacola) and start getting those down. Also, if you have a Marine buddy, get your hands on a Red Rocket guide, which has all sorts of useful information in it.

No, it sounds like you are on the right track Jeff, and more prepared than most people I have talked to, though it sounds like a bunch of you on this Forum are going to be there at the same time, so that should be interesting. Anyways, all the best and good luck,

nickou23

Hi everyone,
I've been rooting around these forums for some time now, they're very informative. Anyway, I just completed my OCS application a couple of weeks ago and am waiting on the reply. It's my goal to be as prepared as possible for OCS and API by May when I graduate from UT. So my question is where can I find more information on stuff that I will need to memorize for OCS? I found some information on the OCS web page, but is there any more somewhere?

beau

Please don't tell me your a longhorn or I'll have to smack you! Tell me your a Volunteer.

Finch

beau

What was the score at the cotton bowl this weekend......Oklahoma 63, Texas 14
Booooooooooommmmmmmmmmmmer
Sooooooooooonnnnnnnnnnnner

Finch

nickou23

quote:
What was the score at the cotton bowl this weekend......Oklahoma 63, Texas 14
Booooooooooommmmmmmmmmmmer
Sooooooooooonnnnnnnnnnnner

Finch

You mean we actually scored 14? I left at 7.

Status
Not open for further replies.