• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Potential switch from 1835 to FAO?

Hair Warrior

Contributor
Hey! So, while I await the IDC DIRCOM Board results, I am bored and obviously thinking too far ahead for my own good, so here goes...

Is there a possibility that a mid-career 1835 Intel reservist can, around say O-4 rank, become a Foreign Area Officer or at least fill a job like that while staying in Intel?

http://www.public.navy.mil/bupers-n...gers/restricted/Pages/ForeignAreaOfficer.aspx

I have a friend who is a defense attache (DIA GS-13) right now at the U.S. embassy in a NATO member country's capital. He loves the job and doesn't want to return CONUS. Wondering whether Navy intel officer reservists could ever do something similar overseas on active duty orders once they've reached a certain rank/ gotten certain experiences under their belt.

NUFO06

None
From the powerpoint on FAO community health.

"–Primary candidates are URL with 8-12 YCS "
Selection rates for primary candidates between 09'-12' was between 10-20%.
Intel community was listed as an alternate source for candidates. I would imagine they fill critical needs wherever they can find them.

There is not enough FAOs to fill all the FAO jobs. FAOs fill many more positions then attaches. You also don't have to be a FAO to be a navy attaché. They also take people and put them in a staff position normally filled by a FAO.

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
A reservist going on active duty is usually a gap-fill. There are various terms for this such as ADSW (Active Duty for Special Work), mobilizations or MOBs, and definite or indefinite recalls. A lot of times, it's work of a relatively short and finite duration, or else a spot where the AC has a manning gap they can't meet from time A to time B, and punts it over the RC to fill in the interim.

Hair Warrior

Contributor
From the powerpoint on FAO community health.

"–Primary candidates are URL with 8-12 YCS "
Selection rates for primary candidates between 09'-12' was between 10-20%.
Intel community was listed as an alternate source for candidates. I would imagine they fill critical needs wherever they can find them.

There is not enough FAOs to fill all the FAO jobs. FAOs fill many more positions then attaches. You also don't have to be a FAO to be a navy attaché. They also take people and put them in a staff position normally filled by a FAO.
Thanks! On a related note... I heard a rumbling about IDC being potentially shifted from RL to URL status. Any truth to it?

Hair Warrior

Contributor
Thanks for the replies! Looks like there is a need for FAOs/attaches.

My B.A. degree was a double major in Political Science & Economics. Plenty of comparative politics, international trade, international finance, etc. I also worked on Capitol Hill in a past life (no, I am not one of "those guys") so I understand how a government/bureaucracy operates. Some foreign language ability but nothing special.

I am going for 1835 and, if selected, would love at some point in my career to be an attache abroad or to teach at Annapolis. Didn't know either were possible until this forum. Deploying with a SOF/Riverine component would be amazing, too. I would take any of those (and I realize I can maybe do only 1 out of those 3 if I'm lucky out of a 8-20 yr career).

HH-60H

Manager
pilot
Contributor
Thanks! On a related note... I heard a rumbling about IDC being potentially shifted from RL to URL status. Any truth to it?

That has been on the drawing board for quite some time. However, according to VADM Branch, there are some statutory hurdles that prevent it from occurring. He specifically referred to command at sea issues. I obviously don't know the in and outs, but that's what he said at a luncheon last month.

A reservist going on active duty is usually a gap-fill. There are various terms for this such as ADSW (Active Duty for Special Work), mobilizations or MOBs, and definite or indefinite recalls. A lot of times, it's work of a relatively short and finite duration, or else a spot where the AC has a manning gap they can't meet from time A to time B, and punts it over the RC to fill in the interim.

The only way for a member of the RASL to transition to the ADL is by way of an indefinite recall to active duty. These are managed by BUPER-3 and these quotas will be annotated on the FY Accession plan. Most of these types of indefinite recalls are for physicians or Roman Catholic priests.