• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Post Retirement Dual Citizenship

Deror

How can I make this thread more awkward?
Ladies and Gentlemen,

While I am still at the very early stages of my military career, at this point in time, I'd like to make the USMC a career and stay in for 20+. I'm eligible for Brazilian citizenship, and am wondering if I would be able to claim it if I were to become a retired officer. I know that when you retire from the service you are still an officer, just in a different status. I also know that you cannot become an officer or be on active/reserve duty as an officer if you hold dual citizenship. Preliminary google searches seem to indicate that I could hold dual citizenship, so long as I don't serve in a foreign military or state service, but I was wondering if anyone has 1st/2nd hand experience with a similar situation.

Thank you

squorch2

he will die without safety brief
pilot
This is a complex enough issue that you're going to want to consult a lawyer or JAG if and when this actually becomes an issue - which is iffy at best. I wouldn't worry too much about my retirement (and where it's going to happen) until I got a LOT closer to the magic number, whatever it ends up being.

Out of curiosity, what's the motivation to act as an agent of the state for one country for 20+ years and then go acquire citizenship in a different country?

Deror

How can I make this thread more awkward?
Sir,

My wife's family is still in Brazil, so obtaining citizenship would allow us to come and go as we please without having to jump through the visa/paperwork hoops every time.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Unless this would be a show-stopper for your decision to become an officer, deal with it in 20 years. The laws and rules could be completely different then, so what's the sense in expending any energy thinking about it now?

Press, shipmate.

Brett

johnnyfive

FY12 STA-21 Selectee (NFO), WINGED AVIATOR
"A person who acquires a foreign citizenship by applying for it may lose U.S. citizenship." The way I understand it, a person can be a "dual national" if conditions out of their control made it happen (i.e. born in another country to a military member may make you a citizen of that country). However, as a general rule, to actively seek citizenship in another country can revoke your American citizenship. Besides, I am sure it is much easier to enter Brazil as an American than to enter America as a Brazilian.

http://travel.state.gov/travel/cis_pa_tw/cis/cis_1753.html

HAL Pilot

None
Contributor
Another point of consideration. When you retire, you don't really retire. Until age 60-something you can be recalled to active duty at the government's whim. Your retirement pay is really a retainer pay during that period. An officer has to be a U.S. citizen. If you become ineligible to serve as an officer due to citizenship issues during this period, you can lose your paycheck.