• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Post 9/11 Transfer...does VTU count for four year commitment?

So, I transferred to the post 9/11 GI Bill, thinking I could use it to pay tuition for one of my kids. I've been IRR for a few years now. I understand that I have to obligate for 4 years, and from what I've read, if you obligate for four years, but are then HYT'd out, you've met your end of the bargain. I also understand that the IRR doesn't count in that four year commitment.

1) So, does anybody know if the VTU counts? I believe the VTU is uniquely Navy, and you're a drilling, non-paid IRR member. My conversation with the local VA rep went like this:
Me: "I don't know that I could get a paid billet. Does drilling with the VTU count?"
Him: "you have to commit to drilling for four more years, so you're good."
Me: "But I think you're technically in the IRR while with the VTU. Is that OK?"
Him: "no, no, you can't be in the IRR, you have to be drilling."

2) I'll be a 2xfailure to select to O-5, I'll get booted at 19 years, and hopefully claim "sanctuary" to get to 20. Can I obligate for another 4 years (VTU or SELRES) at the 18.75 year mark?