• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Post 9-11 GI bill and BDCP

jdean3204

Does anyone know if I am eligible for BDCP while collecting my Post 9-11 benefits and attending ERAU? I cant find that answer anywhere online.

OnTopTime

ROBO TACCO
None
Nevermind, I found that answer on the OCS page for some reason.

Well, why don't you tell us the answer in case someone else has the same question later.

I was going to say, I don't see why you couldn't be receiving Post 9-11 education benefits and eligible to apply for BDCP at the same time. If you were accepted into BDCP, my guess is that your Post 9-11 benefits would be limited to what active duty personnel can receive.

blarged

ready
The answer that was given while at OCS was yes, you can receive post 9-11 in BDCP. You should get the choice when signing all the paperwork whether or not you want the Montgomery or Post 9-11. But remember to do your research on which you want before, because once you turn down the Montgomery, you are no longer eligible. My own experience was I never did anything GI Bill related until I got to OCS even though I was BDCP for about a year before OCS. Not sure if it has changed over the year or if my OR just didn't bring the papers. But according to the brief we received at OCS (sometime between AUG10 and OCT10) you are eligible for GI Bill while in BDCP.

Thisguy

Pain-in-the-dick
I think the OP was asking if it was possible to double-dip: as in be a veteran collecting GI Bill bennies while also getting paid in BDCP. As for the Montgomery GI Bill, I think that thing is disappearing. Besides, who would want to pony up $1200/mo for the MGIB when the Post 9/11 doesn't require any cash to sign up?

eas7888

Looking forward to some P-8 action
pilot
Contributor
I think the OP was asking if it was possible to double-dip: as in be a veteran collecting GI Bill bennies while also getting paid in BDCP. As for the Montgomery GI Bill, I think that thing is disappearing. Besides, who would want to pony up $1200/mo for the MGIB when the Post 9/11 doesn't require any cash to sign up?

Depending on where you live, what program you are pursuing, etc. . . the standard (chapter 31, I believe) MGIB can provide more benefits to the service member. In the state of Kansas, for instance, there is a scholarship that pays 100% of tuition for resident veterans. With BAH rates being low in Kansas, most veterans are better off with their standard MGIB, as it will provide more money in their pocket at the end of the day.

EM1

Forsan et haec olim meminisse iuvabit
It's not a "double dip" for benefits under US code unless both programs pay tuition (you can't pay for the same classes with 2 federal tuition funding methods-which is why STA-21 OCs can only use the GI Bill to cover courses not already covered by the tuition stipend). Since BDCP only pays the member and does not pay tuition, if the GI Bill in any form was previously earned it can be drawn on at the active duty rate.

blarged

ready
Besides, who would want to pony up $1200/mo for the MGIB when the Post 9/11 doesn't require any cash to sign up?

If you don't put in more than your 4 years you can't transfer the benefits. And the Post 9/11 is basically free four years of college. So for me, I'd rather pay the $1200 and have the flexibility of what I want to use the GI Bill for. I can use the MGIB for random classes that I might find interesting at a vocational school or community college or use it to take flight lessons. Or, if I decide to give more time to the Navy, I can just transfer to the Post 9/11 and save it for my kids.

Thisguy

Pain-in-the-dick
If you don't put in more than your 4 years you can't transfer the benefits. And the Post 9/11 is basically free four years of college. So for me, I'd rather pay the $1200 and have the flexibility of what I want to use the GI Bill for. I can use the MGIB for random classes that I might find interesting at a vocational school or community college or use it to take flight lessons. Or, if I decide to give more time to the Navy, I can just transfer to the Post 9/11 and save it for my kids.

http://www.gibill.va.gov/post-911/post-911-gi-bill-summary/Post911_changes.html

This is what I meant when I said the MGIB was disappearing.

blarged

ready

Thanks for the link.

Effective October 1, 2011

Allows students to use the Post-9/11 GI Bill for -
Non-college degree (NCD) programs: Pays actual net cost for in-State tuition and fees at public NCD institutions. At private and foreign institutions, pays the actual net costs for in-state tuition and fees or $17,500, whichever is less. Also pays up to $83 per month for books and supplies.
On-the-job and apprenticeship training: Pays a monthly benefit amount prorated based on time in program and up to $83 per month for books and supplies.
Flight programs: Per academic year, pays the actual net costs for in-state tuition and fees assessed by the school or $10,000, whichever is less. This limit is applicable to flight programs at both IHLs and non-IHLs
Correspondence training: Per academic year, pays the actual net costs for in-state tuition and fees assessed by the school or $8,500, whichever is less

I'm going to have to look into switching over before any more $100 / month pass by

OnTopTime

ROBO TACCO
None
1200 bucks is non-refundable regardless if you choose post 9/11 or not.

Not necessarily.

According to the VA: "Any individual who paid the $1,200.00 buy-in for the Montgomery GI Bill and elects to use the Post-9/11 GI Bill may be refunded a proportional amount if, and after all entitlement under the Post-9/11 GI Bill is used. Individuals who do not use all their entitlement under the Post-9/11 GI Bill will not receive a refund of contributions paid under the Montgomery GI Bill."

It can get complicated, but basically if you bought into the MGIB and also have benefits under the Post-9/11 GI BIll, you can choose to use either, but once you start using Post-9/11 benefits, you cannot switch back to using MGIB benefits. If you use 12 months of MGIB benefits and then switch to Post-9/11 benefits to use all of your remaining 24 months of benefits, you will get a refund of 2/3 of your MGIB buy-in, or $800, with your last Post-9/11 benefit payment.

Also, if you have benefits under both programs and use all of your MGIB benefits, you may be eligible to use an additional 12 months of benefits under the Post-9/11 GI Bill, for a total of 48 months of benefits.

CStudent

It's not a "double dip" for benefits under US code unless both programs pay tuition (you can't pay for the same classes with 2 federal tuition funding methods-which is why STA-21 OCs can only use the GI Bill to cover courses not already covered by the tuition stipend). Since BDCP only pays the member and does not pay tuition, if the GI Bill in any form was previously earned it can be drawn on at the active duty rate.

Pretty sure this is true. As I understand it, the post-9/11 GI Bill pays E5 BAH, tuition (up to $20k), and a stipend for books. The old GI Bill just pays cash.

While in BDCP, you are are considered "active duty" and will receive BAH commensurate with your pay-grade (E3 -> E5 normally. Not sure how they handle prior enlisted of higher rank?). In addition, many state and local colleges will give you a discount on your tuition if you are active duty.

Are BDCP folks are still eligible for tuition assistance? If so, the discount your school may give you and TAS will probably wipe out state tuition. Using your post-9/11 GI Bill may only net you a yearly stipend and an increase in BAH. If this is the case, you just have to decide whether it is worth it to you, or if you want to save it for grad school, a spouse, maybe children?

I believe the older GI Bill should still pay you your full disbursement in cash while in BDCP. In that sense, yes, you would be able to "stack" them.

Worth thinking about.

*Note- I'm not in the Navy. Just a guy who's read up on this, looking to apply to BDCP soon. Certain forum members should be far more knowledgeable on this topic than myself. If I'm wrong in any particular detail, please feel free to correct me.

EM1

Forsan et haec olim meminisse iuvabit
Using your post-9/11 GI Bill may only net you a yearly stipend and an increase in BAH.

post 9/11 pays tuition

You can not draw BAH both from BDCP and and the housing stipend (not BAH, only based on the BAH tables) from post 9/11 at the same time. There are specific rules on how those on active duty draw GI Bill benefits in any form. BDCP= active duty.

eas7888-question about the KS scholarship. Out of curiosity how do you apply for that one and how did you find out about it? I finished my engineering degree at KU last summer and never heard anything about it.