• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Possible Stress Fracture

rjmayer

I've been having pain in my left thigh ever since I ran my pre-ship PFT on thursday. I've read online about a femoral stress fracture. It's a dull ache and it's never really a sharp pain. I can stand on one leg and jump and some days it hurts a little, some days it doesn't. Most people that had a stress fracture of this kind were running in excess of 50 miles a week, I run something like 10 so I don't know if it's possible for me to have this kind of stress fracture. I was wondering if anyone has had this kind of pain before, or if someone has had a stress fracture in the femur was it obvious you had a serious problem because of a lot of pain or was it just a dull ache? It doesn't hurt if I put pressure on my leg, just when I run or put a lot of weight on it. I plan on just resting it for finals week, maybe do some cycling.

torpedo0126

Well, I think the best thing would be to see a Doctor and not A/Ws. I can tell you stress fractures are not pleasant experiences. A friend of mine was sent home from OCS because of a femoral stress fracture. They can take a while to heal. You should definitely not "jump" on it or do any sort of high contact sports until you get it checked out (high contact is usually defined as anything where both feet leave the ground, so that includes running).

In summary, go to a Doctor and get healthy. The faster you do that, the faster you can get back into it. Otherwise your just delaying a recovery.

BarrettRC8

VMFA
pilot
I shipped to OCC with plantar fasciitis in my right foot and it only got worse. A stress fracture is more severe - I developed one during TBS and had it checked out right after we completed the 15 mile hike so I could stay with my Company... But its not something you want to have to cope with on top of the other stressors of OCS.

Get it checked out, if it is a stress fracture and you ship with it there is a good chance they'll catch it and send you home or you'll end up breaking your leg during one of the awesome night hikes.

Go to OCS in top physical condition or you'll hurt your odds of completing.

rjmayer

False alarm I guess, no more pain. Started cycling and elliptical again. I'm going to wait to get home and get fitted for shoes before I start running again to try and prevent another injury.

rheilmann

FMSF are no joke! Get a MRI!

I'd be extremely cautious it is possible it is not a false alarm! I had a stress fracture in my femoral neck of my femur this past August. I think I suffered it around July time but wrote it off as a pulled muscle. That's what it felt like to me, muscle pain around the groin/upper leg area. Took off running for a little and felt a little better. Problem with stress fractures is they feel better with rest and flare right back up with activity if you don't let them calcify. So in September I ran my 1 month out PFT before going to OCS in October. The very next day I got the results back from my MRI saying FMSF (femoral neck stress fracture) and had to tell my OSO in no way could I go to OCS.

So the pain can be misleeding, I was still able to run a 22 min 3 mile on my fracture and thank god I didn't further the injury. If I didn't INSIST on the MRI from my doctor (these fractures are virtually invisible on x-ray) I would have continued to run on it. If I completed the fracture I would have had to been rushed to the ER and needed 3 METAL PINS INSERTED! Putting you out of OCS contention forever and setting youself up for hip arthritis in your 20's.

These are no joke and I was also running ~10 miles or so a week nothing huge, no runs over 4 miles at a time. If you have had this dull ache for longer than a muscle cramp would take to go away I would get a MRI immediately. Don't run on it and the worse that happens is they say you are fine. But take it from my experience on haveing to insists on the MRI, you could prevent major major major surgury to your femur.

It sucks, you can't run for 3 months. I was pissed finding this out just 3 weeks before my ship date and I didn't want to get the MRI originally because in truth I didn't want to be told of what I was already afraid of what I had. After getting the bad news and wanting to punch somehing I tried to stay positive. I swam 3 times a week and worked on my pullups. After being cleared from my doctor in 12 weeks after I got the first MRI I began to run again. I've been SLOWLY building myself back up (first runs were only 3/4 mile long 9 min pace) since and now I'm going to be going to OCS in May with mind intact that my leg has healed and I'm good to go.

Hope this helped.

rjmayer

I thank you for the advice. I've ran about 12 miles so far with no pain at all. I've also been doing a lot of work at the orchard being on my feet all day, jumping on and off tractors with no pain at all. Just a pulled muscle I guess.