• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Possible officer with LOTS of questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Texan

Why enemy pilots dont sleep well
OK, I'm a noob here, so give me a little while before the flames start... I am doing lots of reading now that I've found this board.

Basically, I've been interested in being an officer (and more to the point, a pilot) forever (blah blah blah...) and now that Im getting to my prime, I'm really pushing the idea. I took the test officer candidacy test (or whatever it's called) back in December last year sometime, and did really well - nines across the board except one 8.

The problem is that I cant see S***, and at the time didnt have $$$ for PRK. Well, now I do, and I'm about to go through with the PRK, but before I toss $3K towards what some people are calling a pipe dream, I thought I'd ask some questions:

1) is it worth it? - As an engineer for a large military aerospace contractor, I'm doing well, but I just dont have personal satisfaction that I believe an officer position might have. Looking for something with lots of leadership that will challenge me more than just the technical gunk in the lab.

2) Is my background a problem? I'm the first born American in the family, and I'm having some issues about having to give up my citizenships from the other countries... not so much cause I'm ever going to use them, but more so because it seems like I'm turning away from my heritage. Not to mention the fact that I'm half French and half Swiss (and 100% AMERICAN BABY!!!)

3) I'm 6'4"ish, physically fit, but by no means highly athletic. Eventually I can get (back) into better shape, but with my schedule at work, working out is nearly impossible. I can pass the physical stuff, but do I need to cut back on sleep to be #1 in that too?

ok, enough for now. I'll post more later, this thread could get long.

Thanks all,

Texan

bch

Helo Bubba
pilot
I will answer the first one. I was an engineering major in college. I look at what my friends are doing for a job (including the better pay they get) and there is no way in HELL I would ever trade my career for theirs. Naval Aviation ROCKS!!!!

Falcaner

DCA "Don't give up the ship"
i will try and adress some of your questions
Well, now I do, and I'm about to go through with the PRK, but before I toss $3K towards what some people are calling a pipe dream, I thought I'd ask some questions:he problem is that I cant see S***, and at the time didnt have $$$ for PRK. Well, now I do, and I'm about to go through with the PRK, but before I toss $3K towards what some people are calling a pipe dream, I thought I'd ask some questions:

1) is it worth it? - As an engineer for a large military aerospace contractor, I'm doing well, but I just dont have personal satisfaction that I believe an officer position might have. Looking for something with lots of leadership that will challenge me more than just the technical gunk in the lab.

I went through a similar thing since I had a high paying job with a defense contractor and my parents especially were very dubious about my career prospects in the navy. They have since come around and are very proud of my line of work and so am i. PRK is very accepted now and I would do it. As for leadership there is no place else were you could get they kind of responsibility that you can have in the navy. Weather it is leading a group of sailors during an unrep to make sure all the safety procedures are followed. Driving a multi billion-dollar ship or flying a multi million dollar aircraft there is simply nothing else like it. I have had some unexpected changes in my career such as driving a boat instead of a plane but even knowing what I know now I would still do it all over again in a New York minute.

FlyingPorkChop

It's a pity that you can't somehow get in first, THEN go for the eye surgery: many of my shipmates are getting the procedure, for which I am sure the Navy pays every cent. ;)

Texan

Sorry I didnt get back quicker. Thanks all for the comments.

Jake - i turned 25 last June, so I'm pushing it - I'm trying to get in contact with a new recruiter as my old recruiter seems to have changed stations. I'll let you all know what's up in the next few days. Do you think I'm already disqualified without an age waver?

-Texan

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
bch said:
I will answer the first one. I was an engineering major in college. I look at what my friends are doing for a job (including the better pay they get) and there is no way in HELL I would ever trade my career for theirs. Naval Aviation ROCKS!!!!

I second this. I majored in EE. I am SO GLAD I am not working in industry. You can't beat getting paid to fly.

Penguin

Respect the WEZ
pilot
Generally, you can come in as a new officer up to age 27. Those with previous service can get age waivers. You would probably want to make sure your package is in while you're 25-26. It would suck to get all the boxes checked only to go over age before you made final selection. A good friend of mine from API was a computer programmer with a good job in Manhattan. He found a recruiter who believed in his potential. He entered API at age 27 and is now in Corpus Christi flying the mighty T-34C.
With regard to your eye situation, make sure you make an informed decision. See if you can find a way to talk to a Navy eye doc or the folks at the Naval Aerospace Medical Institute before you spend the money. Many people on this board have gone off half-cocked before they informed themselves completely. The Navy is very picky about your health, especially vision. Make sure the surgeon believes he can get you back within standards, both refraction and astigmatism correction, if you need it. You can be 20/20, but still have other factors that might disqualify you. Best of luck, and don't take no for an answer, at least not the first or second time.

Penguin

By the way, I just completed my first flight and I turned 28 the 5th of October.

Texan

OK, have a meeting set up with a new recruiter (old one moved on), and I have some questions for him. If you guys think there are things I should be asking that arent on this list, please add:

1) what is a pilot's career progression - i.e. what happens after flying for a few years.

2) If something were to happen and I couldnt fly anymore, would I be able to switch branches and do something more research / science related (i.e ARL / AFRL)

3) Where can I find a list squadrons vs. bases (i.e. what planes are where)

4) I've been out of school for a couple of years, GPA was Good for my class (ceramic / materials Engineering) but not so nice when looked at in relation to history majors (no offense to history majors)

5) how much do ASTB scores weigh on the final selection? (I apparently did very well)

6) Some examples of leadership I'd be doing

7) how vacation works

8) what the drawbacks are to being in the navy Vs. non-military life

PS. If anyone has input to these, it kinda goes along with the original thread.

TIA,
Ian

Nfs_127

1) Train, Train some more, Train even more It never stops You'll progress in rank and should go through jobs with more responsibility with more people to look after (all you acive guys chime on some these jobs) from what I understand Stuff like Squadron Fitness officer blah blah up to Commander some day if you work for it.

2) It's a possibility but probably would depend on why you were not able to fly and the needs of the Service your looking at. I know a AF Lt. Col, in thats now in AFRL that was a pilot but you gotta take the AFOQT Air Force Officer Qualifying Test to be an Air Force officer and Pilot through OCS is hard to come by unless you had a great GPA and lots of extracurricular activities and some flight experince wouldn't hurt. Dunno how it works for the Navy but probably the same but fly navy its better 2 years of AFROTC made me slightly dislike the Air Force.

3.) Official websites of the bases lists on the services websites (not the dot com sites the dot mil ones!) or Get Combat Aircraft Magizine for the year reviews you can find it at a local magizine/ news shop and some book stores(get the back orders)

4.) Yet again my 2 years expericne as an AF officer cadet Tech degrees do get a little break ie: History Major with a 3.0 Aerospace Eng. Major with a 2.5 carry the same weight cause they know its harder. The whole person concept will help sports, community service and clubs/groups you were or are a part of. Know it works the same way in the Navy the Navy officer recruiter here gave the me whole person speech.

5.) Don't worry about it if you did well. Its Important but its not a huge portion of your total package just do good on it and your fine from what I've heard.

6.) Leadership would depend on rank. You'll be an officer but at first your job is to follow orders and get through training. You'll have more people under you as you advance in rank but untill you have a higher leadership position you'll never really be in charge of a lot of people directly. You jsut recieve orders and pass them down the chain. The biggest thing to worry about is as an officer your expected to behave in a manner fitting an officer the enlisted will call you sir and listen to you but don't ever tell a cheif what to do till you've been around a few years.

7. 30 days leave per year use it or lose it you have to accumulate it this stuff is also on the .mil web pages.

8) drawbacks depend on the person. Can you take a tour at sea for 6months? The benifits are great but as a pilot you'd be "expensive" government property for 8 years and your gonna do what they want you to do. As a Civillian your free have no 8 year commitment can quit at any time and don't get deployed.

Hope this helps,
B.

wilsonator

Texan,
I would look into other avenues besides just the Navy. Not wanting to throw out a bunch of negativity but the Navy's pilot needs are not what they used to be. The AF AD, Guard, and reserve ages are different. Check out Baseops.net for more info. I'm not saying to give up on flying Navy, just apply everywhere and make your selection based on who calls back. Remember you have a 100% chance of not being selected if you don't apply. I can only speak about the age thing and not the eye thing. I was granted an age waiver in OCS because I turned 27 a few days before commissioning. It didn't seem to be a big deal but that was a couple of years ago. Good luck and don't give up and put your packages in ASAP.

Jake

cierno31

officer chances

What are my chances of going Intel/crypto with a degree in finance? I am asking this because I have heard negative things about supply. If I did go supply I would want to go into budgeting, but I hear this is very difficult to go into. I would want to be stationed in Italy or Spain.

Status
Not open for further replies.