• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Possible NPQ for me

STLEngineer

pilot
I have just over a month for this to resolve itself, which would put total healing time at 7 weeks. Doctor said it usually takes at least 4-5 weeks to close so 7 weeks should be enough.

I've been told upon arrival at Newport I will undergo a complete physical.

Ye wise ones, what would ye do about this?

It really depends on how stuff works in Newport.

In PCola you took a swim screen on your 3rd full day. That may be something to consider if it's still the case.

As far as hearing goes, I know guys that went SUPPO with horrible hearing, so it wouldn't completely DQ you from OCS (I think). If you don't get the "official" results until you're in PCOLA (after graduating) then that would give you much more time.

feddoc

Really old guy
Contributor
This brings up something I've been worried about. About three weeks ago I perforated my eardrum while diving under about 15 feet of water. I had a cold and thought I was over it...

I went to the doctor and he says it's a minor perforation and that it will heal, that I had an ear infection and thats why it couldn't equalise. He gave me some antibiotics and told me to keep the ear dry.I said "you mean it might heal or will heal?" He said "that small of a perforation heals every time, 100% recovery, its no big deal just don't get it wet!"

I'm going to be shipping ot OCS on 3 Nov and don't know if I should try to get a later class. I dont want to delay OCS, but I also don't want to get disqualified once I get there and have to roll.

I have just over a month for this to resolve itself, which would put total healing time at 7 weeks. Doctor said it usually takes at least 4-5 weeks to close so 7 weeks should be enough.

I've been told upon arrival at Newport I will undergo a complete physical.

Ye wise ones, what would ye do about this?

Press on...this should not be an issue.

puck_11

Growler LSO
pilot
Don't worry about it. It will heal. If it comes up tell them the story, they'll work with you, you won't get DQd for a temporary problem.

CaptainRon

pilot
Contributor
Guys, I'll be going to Pensacola soon, so I'm starting to freak out about this again.

About the guys who did get NPQ'd because of this ear issue, did they mention having severe pain during pressure changes or fluid discharge or something major like that? I've literally had no problems with my left ear...I just can't get the damn thing to pop. I can RARELY get it to pop using the head tilt trick.

xj220

Will fly for food.
pilot
Contributor
There's nothing you can really do except wait. Sometimes it won't feel like anything is going on, but when the flight docs look in your ear they'll see some movement and that's all they need, I believe.