• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

USN Possibilities for Training Schools/Courses As 1105 Reservist

pascol1

I just talked to a recruiter about my chances of getting into another designator. I am currently an 11o5 and I am an LT VTU reservist. I received the honest truth that 1105's are in a tough position and it may be a long time before I get picked up for another community. She told me that I need to make myself very marketable. If I can go to any type of training school, that would help my case immensely. Has anyone seen an IRR VTU reservist get any opportunities to do this by networking, consistently asking if there were any vacancies, or funding some of the training himself/herself? Any help would be very much appreciated.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Here's a basic rundown of how schools and funding works. It's possible for an IRR to get a school, but you'll see below why that's tough.

First of all, someone has to fund your orders. Generally there's no incentive for someone you're not attached to cough up money for ADT since it comes out of their pocket. There is Schools ADT, which comes out of a separate pot of money (from N7) that can be used for schools. However, you need approval for the Schools money, which gets submitted by a parent command (for you, I guess that would be the NOSC). You also need to get a seat in a class through CANTRAC (or CETARS...I can never keep the two straight). You'll need the quota for the school before the money request can be sent in.

However... Schools ADT is in short supply right now. I think the latest I saw was PRI 1 personnel only, though Jim may be able to correct me. PRI 1 would be in-rate training for operational units or for a "critical" (my word) need, not some school that sounds cool and you'd just like to do. I don't know what the money situation looks like once the new FY starts.

At the end of the day, just like everyone else has already told you, need to affiliate and become a SELRES. Then at least you'll have a billet and a command to support you, along with entitlement (AT).

PenguinGal

Can Do!
Contributor
Here's a basic rundown of how schools and funding works. It's possible for an IRR to get a school, but you'll see below why that's tough.

First of all, someone has to fund your orders. Generally there's no incentive for someone you're not attached to cough up money for ADT since it comes out of their pocket. There is Schools ADT, which comes out of a separate pot of money (from N7) that can be used for schools. However, you need approval for the Schools money, which gets submitted by a parent command (for you, I guess that would be the NOSC). You also need to get a seat in a class through CANTRAC (or CETARS...I can never keep the two straight). You'll need the quota for the school before the money request can be sent in.

However... Schools ADT is in short supply right now. I think the latest I saw was PRI 1 personnel only, though Jim may be able to correct me. PRI 1 would be in-rate training for operational units or for a "critical" (my word) need, not some school that sounds cool and you'd just like to do. I don't know what the money situation looks like once the new FY starts.

At the end of the day, just like everyone else has already told you, need to affiliate and become a SELRES. Then at least you'll have a billet and a command to support you, along with entitlement (AT).

Well said. I am currently dealing with my REQUIRED school potentially not being funded because it isn't a priority 1 school. Even SELRES officers are having trouble getting schools that they need, forget getting schools we want!

SELRES_AMDO

DAWIA courses are doable if you have a CAC card.

You won't be able to get an actual cert without experience, but it's something.

Hair Warrior

Contributor
I just talked to a recruiter about my chances of getting into another designator. I am currently an 11o5 and I am an LT VTU reservist. I received the honest truth that 1105's are in a tough position and it may be a long time before I get picked up for another community. She told me that I need to make myself very marketable. If I can go to any type of training school, that would help my case immensely. Has anyone seen an IRR VTU reservist get any opportunities to do this by networking, consistently asking if there were any vacancies, or funding some of the training himself/herself? Any help would be very much appreciated.
My $0.02 - first, you need to figure out how badly you want to stay Navy.

If you want it badly enough, act as if you're a civilian trying to earn a DIRCOM. Pay for your own master's degree and/or get a new day job that is relevant to the Navy career field you want to join (designator you wish to become).

Which Navy career field are you trying to join?