• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Pop's Leather

rreagan3

VP-NESS
None
I was browsing around the other sections of Pop's website (the ones that aren't about modding your issued flight jacket) and I saw a couple of other things on there that tickled my fancy (like this: http://www.popsleather.com/prod_v2.php3?prod=58 )

While there are several references to Pop's in other threads, there aren't any threads specifically about Pop's products or reviews.

So, has anybody bought something from Pop's other than a Jacket mod? Is that shotgun case just a pretty picture of a piece of crap? Pictures of what you have would be nice, too. Thanks, AW.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I've been in their shop and most of their stuff is nice, but I've developed some antibodies to doing business with Turkey, given their recent treatment of our Sailors. Caveat emptor.

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Punishing a company that likes US military business because of hooligans at the port? A boycott only works if it impacts the people who make decisions. I doubt either the Turkish government (and I'm not a fan of them, either) or the thugs in question remotely give a shit about a small business in Incirlik.

I bought Mrs Fester one of their leather helmet bags as a winging present. Ten years on, it looks broken in but not worn out. Good quality stuff.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I'm not boycotting or trying to influence anyone in Turkey, just feel a lot better about contributing to the US economy in this case.

nittany03

FUBIJAR
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
FWIW, I have a Pop's G-2. Quality is quite good. The only gripe I have is that the fur collar came out a trifle 1970's-ish. I've been meaning to find a good leather shop in Seattle and see if they can trim it to a better proportion. No one has bugged me about it, shoes included; it just irks me ever so slightly.

Scruff

None
Contributor
So is a Pop's modified G2 really worth it? I finally got my gypsy patches in the mail and was about to throw them on the issued G2, but am thinking about pulling the trigger on a Pop's. For some reason the new (2010) issued leather just feels plasticy. Is it worth $500?

AFUAW

pilot
I knew a guy who has one. I thought it looked funny compared to the issue one. The color and texture of the leather was noticeably different. The collar was big too.

robav8r

D-FENS
None
Contributor
If you're gonna drop $500 bones, at least check out the Cockpit's G2. I just got one and love it . . .

nittany03

FUBIJAR
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I knew a guy who has one. I thought it looked funny compared to the issue one. The color and texture of the leather was noticeably different. The collar was big too.
The color and texture of the leather may be due to Pop's making theirs out of real goatskin (the original material) and not just rolling a goatskin pattern on cheaper leather like the issue one has now. But yeah, the Pop's collar is a little . . . off. I'll report back on my success or lack thereof in getting mine trimmed down.

Last edited:

Nomar116

pilot
The color and texture of the leather may be due to Pop's making theirs out of real goatskin (the original material) and not just rolling a goatskin pattern on cheaper leather like the issue one has now. But yeah, the Pop's collar is a little . . . off. I'll report back on my success or lack thereof in getting mine trimmed down.
The collar sucks and makes this coat not worth the $$. If it were trimmed down I think we'd be in business. I would like to hear how it works out for you!

Rugby_Guy

Livin on a Prayer
pilot
I know I’m raising the dead over here, but any luck getting the collar cut down?

My issue jacket is basically a POS quality wise, and is about 2 sizes too big. In the market for a quality jacket to attach the tipsy gypsy patch to and wear to work.