• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Pool Time for NFO and SNA candidates at OCS

Status
Not open for further replies.

elise22

I heard we have some sort of pool time tuesdays and thursdays, but I am curious what it consists of. I was wondering if the NFO and SNA candidates get tested for the swimming PRT (500yd. swim) at OCS? I was also curious how much pool time the SNA&NFO candidates get at OCS and what sort of training do they have them do?

elise22

I feel so much better knowing I don't have to do the swim PRT. I enjoying being in the water & swimming so it sounds like it shouldn't to bad. Thank you for the info, I really appreciate it.
bouncy_125.gif
Elise

D_mac05

Foxtrot Driver
pilot
I have a question about this... I have a copy of a API schedule that I got somewhere (probably off this site) that shows there are swimming tests. (i.e. the 1-mile swim). This is in API right? If not, where would it be? Not in primary. Being in the BDCP program we are (or were) required to pass the 500-yard swim test. Where in OCS, API, or primary do we do this???

jlinscott

I am also required to do a swim prt in BDCP but you will not be required to do this in the NAVY. They do it to us BDCP people because they want to ensure that we have the ability to swim before they send us out to a hardcore water survival course, like the one during API (so we don't sink while we are in API).

jlinscott

I think that this is a new requirement for BDCP. Either that or the recruiters are making up stuff to help us get ready. (kinda like the good low in PRT thing for OCS, that is required by some but not other recruiting districts).

NuSnake

I'm BDCP and no swiming yet for me either....oh well, but I do have a PRT coming up pretty soon.

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."
- Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

"Knowledge speaks, but wisdom listens."
- Jimi Hendrix

tali264

I'm also BDCP and I haven't had to do a swim yet and nobody has mentioned anything. I only have one more PRT left to do (in April) so I don't think I'll have to do it.

grouch

I wasn't in BDCP and I didn't have to swim either. Oh well, the next PRT I do will be at OCS.

"When Payne Webber speaks, people listen"
-Payne Webber commercials

"Musharain badadoo badada, whack for my dadio"
-Metallica, Garage Inc

frogggystyle

Aviators in all American services are required to do the 1-mile swim in API, with the exception of Air Force student pilots. (Air Force student navigators had to do it, just not the student pilots.) I think the Air Force student pilots do their swim later on in training.

The swim isn't that bad. Most people do it in less than 1 hour. You will get kicked in the head a lot from the other swimmers, so get ready for that. hehe For those who fail the swim, you have to do remediation swimming until you can swim the mile test. Nobody gets through API without passing that mile swim in the allotted time period.

Rainman

pilot
Originally posted by frogggystyle
Aviators in all American services are required to do the 1-mile swim in API, with the exception of Air Force student pilots. (Air Force student navigators had to do it, just not the student pilots.)

Yeah, and get this: the AF NAVS didn't even have to complete the mile swim: just attempt it. What's the point of that?

grouch

well you know what they say....one difference between Navy an AF pilots is the Navy pilots can swim a mile before they drown.

jrklr

that's comedy, they only have to attempt it! I agree rainman, what is the point. It reminds me of teachers in elementary school that tell the students, "It's okay, at least you tried and that's all that matters!" I don't mean to bash on the air force but it's stuff like this that I can't resist.

D_mac05

Foxtrot Driver
pilot
Thanks for the input guys. According to my recruiters, they JUST changed the rule that the BDCP'ers now don't HAVE to take the 500-yd swim before we go. They said it is highly encouraged though. When I joined the BDCP over 2 years ago, it was said in my contract that I had to complete that swim test before I go to OCS. That FOR NOW has changed. (For the better in my case.)

Status
Not open for further replies.