• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Pol-Mil Masters Program

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
These are typically O5/O6 level programs. Either way, there are timing issues that are impossible to predict, so worry about this in 15 years.

Brett

JFman00

None
For PMM it says O3-O5.

Additionally:
"Junior officers completing their division officer tour and department heads going into their shore tour are strongly encouraged to apply."

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
For PMM it says O3-O5.

Additionally:
"Junior officers completing their division officer tour and department heads going into their shore tour are strongly encouraged to apply."
Yes, I'm familiar with the stated requirements in the instruction. Keep in mind that meeting the stated requirements doesn't necessarily make you competitive for those programs. Case in point, FAO is open to senior LTs by instruction, but few (if any) have been selected for that program. Anyhow, you won't know whether your timing will permit something like that until you're within a year or so. That is ultimately what will determine if it's possible and whether it will negatively impact your career. I could tell you based on the current conventional wisdom that 2 years "off" for education and the accompanying Not Observed FITREP time will be a net negative for your career. In 10-15 years when you're elligible, things could be totally different or the program could have radically changed. Bottom line, if it's something you're interested in, address it when you're negotiating orders, but don't spend any brain power worrying about it now.

Brett

zab1001

pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Threadjack, but just to clarify in case this comes up in a search, there are about 220 USN FAOs and about 30 are LTs. The accession process is tweaked to account for "new build" FAOs (meaning they need at least part of the training track: Masters, language or both) to bring the community to the (currently) proposed 400 personnel by 2015. I was selected as a senior LT, it isn't unheard of, just not easy because it's a small community. For reference, in 2009 1 in 9 applicants were selected, in 2010 it was 1 in 13 (all ranks across the board).

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Threadjack, but just to clarify in case this comes up in a search, there are about 220 USN FAOs and about 30 are LTs. The accession process is tweaked to account for "new build" FAOs (meaning they need at least part of the training track: Masters, language or both) to bring the community to the (currently) proposed 400 personnel by 2015. I was selected as a senior LT, it isn't unheard of, just not easy because it's a small community. For reference, in 2009 1 in 9 applicants were selected, in 2010 it was 1 in 13 (all ranks across the board).
I was hoping you'd chime in for some perspective on this. What's your overall satisfaction with FAO after having done it for a while. I've heard generally dissenting views from guys I know who have done it, but they were all first tour FAO.

Brett

zab1001

pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
It's a living, ups and downs. The people I know who are unhappy are mostly folks who didn't realize how much work it is, how diverse the daily requirements are, and the extent that their respective COCOM would rely on them.

There are a shitload of subsets to Security Cooperation, and FAOs are expected to be able to execute most of them, with minimal training from Day 1. The NPS ->DLI->DISAM training track needs to be re-evaluated.

helolumpy

Apprentice School Principal
pilot
Contributor
We have heard through the grapevine that the COCOMs LOVE to put FAO's in the plans shop and make them be very involved in the Theater Campaign Plans.

Jim123

DD-214 in hand and I'm gonna party like it's 1998
pilot
We have heard through the grapevine that the COCOMs LOVE to put FAO's in the plans shop and make them be very involved in the Theater Campaign Plans.

Probably a good bet that a lot of enablers also find themselves in the same spotlight.

(And how is it that "enabler" isn't in the JP1-02... or is my copy just out of date?)

sds2001

I did the 1 year PMM program at Harvard 2008-2009. While there are potential drawbacks to taking a special program like this, I believe the opportunity to get a degree from one of five great schools while still being paid is well worth the small cost. Additionally, it could serve to make your record more interesting and break you out from the pack, especially if you have done well in your other more traditional positions.

As far as competitiveness for selection, it isn't common for O3's to be selected, but not impossible as you can see in these selection messages: 2013, 2012, 2011. Most of the schools have a minimum experience requirement though, typically 6-8 years, so you won't be able to apply as a new LT.