• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

PO3 in search of guidance

njac35

I am a current reservist with five years of active duty time in the Navy and 32 years old. I got out as an E-5 and went to college using my Gi-bill and received a bachelors of science in criminal justice. I later talked to a Navy officer recruiter about applying for OCS or any officer program I could qualify for and was told that I was not competitive and they couldn't help me due to a low GPA. My GPA upon graduating was quite low (2.79) due to my own poor choices right after graduating high school in 2005 and not wanting to be in school anymore, hence the enlistment in the Navy the first time. I decided I wanted to go back into the Navy anyway and enlisted in the reserves but had to lose a pay grade because I wasn't being paid for my E-5 when I was released. I am currently an IS3(AW/SW) and wanted to know what options I have if I want to become an officer? The recruiter told me to pursue a masters degree then come back to him or wait a few years and apply for LDO once I gain rank and am Chief board eligible. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

V/R,
IS3(AW/SW)

FormerRecruitingGuru

Making Recruiting Great Again
I am a current reservist with five years of active duty time in the Navy and 32 years old. I got out as an E-5 and went to college using my Gi-bill and received a bachelors of science in criminal justice. I later talked to a Navy officer recruiter about applying for OCS or any officer program I could qualify for and was told that I was not competitive and they couldn't help me due to a low GPA. My GPA upon graduating was quite low (2.79) due to my own poor choices right after graduating high school in 2005 and not wanting to be in school anymore, hence the enlistment in the Navy the first time. I decided I wanted to go back into the Navy anyway and enlisted in the reserves but had to lose a pay grade because I wasn't being paid for my E-5 when I was released. I am currently an IS3(AW/SW) and wanted to know what options I have if I want to become an officer? The recruiter told me to pursue a masters degree then come back to him or wait a few years and apply for LDO once I gain rank and am Chief board eligible. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

V/R,
IS3(AW/SW)

+1 on what the recruiter said. You’re not really in any good situation right now to pursue a commission. Focus on advancing, getting a civilian job to complement your IS rating, and getting a masters degree (ideally in STEM - avoid the for-profit colleges like University of Phoenix and getting your masters from an actual brick and mortar).

Last edited: