• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

PLC with a 6 year major?

User1993

I registered for classes today at the college and I was intending on geting a BSN to become a nurse (my back up in case the I cant get a commission in the military). They told me it'd take 6 years to get that degree. Am I able to get into the PLC program even if my major takes 6 years? I'd be 26 by the time i graduate. If I can't then I'd just major in political science. But I really want to go for that nursing degree.

-Thanks

jcj

Others can give you more detailed information, but the first problem I see is that if you tried to do what you've described above you would be trying to enter a Marine Corps officer commissioning program while working towards a nursing degree. The Marine Corps doesn't have nurses (or physicians, dentists or chaplains). These professionals who work with the Marine Corps are actually in the Navy, and spend a portion of their career assigned to Marine Corps commands.

So if you want to be a nurse (with or without working with Marines) - you need a Navy nurse corps commissioning source. If you want to be Marine officer, PLC is a viable route but I'm guessing they wouldn't accept a nursing major. I would think a PoliSci major would be acceptable.

User1993

Others can give you more detailed information, but the first problem I see is that if you tried to do what you've described above you would be trying to enter a Marine Corps officer commissioning program while working towards a nursing degree. The Marine Corps doesn't have nurses (or physicians, dentists or chaplains). These professionals who work with the Marine Corps are actually in the Navy, and spend a portion of their career assigned to Marine Corps commands.

So if you want to be a nurse (with or without working with Marines) - you need a Navy nurse corps commissioning source. If you want to be Marine officer, PLC is a viable route but I'm guessing they wouldn't accept a nursing major. I would think a PoliSci major would be acceptable.

I'm not trying to be a nurse in the military though. I'm trying to be a pilot. Yet from what I've read the marines doesn't care what you major in. I'm only wanting a degree in nursing because in the civilian world if like to be a nurse.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I registered for classes today at the college and I was intending on geting a BSN to become a nurse (my back up in case the I cant get a commission in the military). They told me it'd take 6 years to get that degree....

What school are you going to that has a six-year program for a bachelor's, even if it is a BSN? I would seriously consider other schools if I were you, the standard BSN degree program is 3-4 years and a 6 year program sounds more like a combined program where you get your RN then a master's degree in something. If not taking 6 years to just get an RN is a waste of time, some schools have programs that get you an RN in half that.

User1993

What school are you going to that has a six-year program for a bachelor's, even if it is a BSN? I would seriously consider other schools if I were you, the standard BSN degree program is 3-4 years and a 6 year program sounds more like a combined program where you get your RN then a master's degree in something. If not taking 6 years to just get an RN is a waste of time, some schools have programs that get you an RN in half that.

Well I'm starting at a community college. The program they have is rn to BSN where you do four years at the community college and two at the university you transfer too. The guy at orientation may have given me false info. I'm going to set up an interview with my counselor.