• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

PLC Air Contract and my vision.

OdeToArsenal47

First off, I'd like to say that yes, I did search. Maybe I need to check my contact prescription.

I have awful vision. 20/200 with astigmatism. I could get PRK but I don't want to pay for it if I'm being completely honest. But I don't want to be a pilot, I really want to be an NFO, not a pilot.

I read that to get an Air contract you have to pass a flight physical (obviously). With that said, what about my vision? Will they still give me the contract if I tell them I want to go NFO anyways?

I'm physically healthy everywhere else, lost 20 pounds this summer alone and could pass the PFT now (not bad for starting out vomiting after .6 miles!). I'm going to keep training and get to that 300 level but as far as just being healthy, I'm good.

I still plan on doing PLC anyways as a bunch of other jobs interest me (Infantry, Intel, ATC, Tank, maybe even JAG). Being a Marine is what I want, being a Marine aviator is icing on the cake. Just trying to get all the info on my options here.

Thanks.

81montedriver

pilot
Why don't you want to be a pilot by the way?

There are some things you should be aware of with the Marine Corps NFO community. The current airframes, Hornet/Prowler will begin getting replaced in several years and will be gone entirely by the end of the decade. With that being said, the Marine Corps is not taking as many NFO's anymore and will most likely be taking less and less each year. If you want a future as an NFO go Navy. More options and longer career (Super Hornet, Growler/Prowler, E/P-3, E-6, E-2). Assuming there are NFO slots for PLC, there will be lots of competition for them.

So think about a few things to make yourself more marketable. PFT score which you are already working on and eyesight. Your flight physical standards would be for NFO specifically. But you still have to pass. The better your eyesight, the better you look. You might want to think about dishing out the money for it.

If you go ground you are not guarenteed a job until completion of TBS. If you want to know more about how the selection works, search these threads, it's been discussed before. You may want infantry or intel or tanks, but you may end up getting supply, adjutant or PAO. Keep in your head that nothing is guarenteed and the better your performance, the better your results will be.

Good luck to you.

OdeToArsenal47

Why don't you want to be a pilot by the way?

There are some things you should be aware of with the Marine Corps NFO community. The current airframes, Hornet/Prowler will begin getting replaced in several years and will be gone entirely by the end of the decade. With that being said, the Marine Corps is not taking as many NFO's anymore and will most likely be taking less and less each year. If you want a future as an NFO go Navy. More options and longer career (Super Hornet, Growler/Prowler, E/P-3, E-6, E-2). Assuming there are NFO slots for PLC, there will be lots of competition for them.

So think about a few things to make yourself more marketable. PFT score which you are already working on and eyesight. Your flight physical standards would be for NFO specifically. But you still have to pass. The better your eyesight, the better you look. You might want to think about dishing out the money for it.

If you go ground you are not guarenteed a job until completion of TBS. If you want to know more about how the selection works, search these threads, it's been discussed before. You may want infantry or intel or tanks, but you may end up getting supply, adjutant or PAO. Keep in your head that nothing is guarenteed and the better your performance, the better your results will be.

Good luck to you.

Well, it's not that I don't want to be a pilot, I'd just prefer to be an NFO.

Navy huh? Part of the allure of the Marines (well, besides being a Marine) is that you can pretty much sign up for PLC and then do it. Tennessee doesn't have many ROTC detachments, just Vanderbilt and Memphis. I can't get into Vandy and I'm not going to Memphis. I'd really appreciate them paying for some college, so that pretty much leaves BDCP. Food for thought I guess. I'm still really interested in the Marines outside of aviation, though. I'll just have to ponder it some more, I've got plenty of time.

And yeah, I have no problem with PRK but Tennessee going rates are near $4k. Even with a loan I'm still looking at $100/month or so. But I am going to college in the same town my parents live in. So that makes it PRK vs. Moving Out. More food for thought.

Would having 20/20 vision + a PRK waiver be better for my chances at aviation than 20/200 (or worse) without?