• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

PLC-air and flight physical

khuygie88

Hi all, let me start by saying I've read all over these forums on all sorts of topics and thus far the materials I have found have been incredibly helpful. That said, I have also search high and low and have yet to find an answer for my particular situation, I will be talking to my OSO about it, but at this point I am also looking for other opinions on the matter.

I'm a college junior working on applying for a PLC air contract. I have yet to take the ASTB, but I know that when I sit And study for it that I will be just fine. My issue is this ( haven't had MEPS yet either): about 3.5 years ago I had some dizzy spells, nothing major, no passing out or falling to the ground, only happened once a month tops and dissipated in less than a minute, but I got them checked out. Saw a neurologist who performed a sleep deprived EEG and a head MRI and proclaimed me normal, no issues, and I stopped seeing him. The issues went away, nothing mentioned on my medical records about them for the past two years. Doctors were unable to induce or get them to repeat. I would hate to waste everyone's time with the ASTB and all to get denied at the flight physical...

I know that to someone reading my medical history these would raise a red flag, understandably. Is this enough to disqualify me from passing a flight physical?

I've read over medical question lists and none of the symptoms/ issues on those lists match what happened to me, and they haven't happened in two years! I would feel obligated to bring it up if asked about other issues. This is the ONLY blemish on my medical records! No broken bones or anything beyond that!

I will be asking my OSO about it and maybe bring it up during MEPS? It's all in writing on my medical history( I obtained a copy) so there is really no point in hiding it.

EDIT: To get a bit more technical, my neurologist classified these events as pre-syncope, no tongue biting, no incontinence, no passing out. Not seizures or anything of the sort. After reading the Syncope Waiver just now, how difficult is it to obtain one?? I do not fall under any of the "will not issue" categories.

Opinions? I am located in RI, so if it means going through MEPS and taking the ASTB to head over to Newport to get checked, I can do that...

EDIT: Also posted this question in the Doctor is in thread in the Doc forum (after posting here) in hopes that it will be seen there. If I'm overstepping my bounds, feel free to delete. Thanks.

kj2008

Look at this link...http://www.med.navy.mil/sites/navmedmpte/nomi/nami/arwg/Documents/MANMED Change 126.pdf This is the manual for all things medical. Section 15-57 on page 15-44 talks about neurological disorders. You can page through the rest of the document as well and that will get you started on your research....there's going to be a lot of that. Your symptoms are NOT listed on the DD2807 form (google this) which is the form you fill out with your OSO prior to going to MEPS. However, there is a catch-all "Other" category that you would list your history in. But look at it this way...I was dizzy yesterday on Final Land Nav in 100+ degree heat for more than 8 hours...think about why you could have been dizzy. Whether you saw a doctor for this or not, does not mean you were treated by a doctor for an "illness". Again, lots of research, but don't give up.

khuygie88

Thanks kj2008, I did some reading on disorders and also posed the question on the Doc forum and was told I'm worrying too much. From my visits I know I don't have a disorder, per-say, or any illness, so I'm just going to be prepared to talk about what happened and continue to state quite frankly that they've gone away. I appreciate the feedback!