• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Places to live in San Diego with a family.

ea6bflyr

Working Class Bum
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Although it is no longer affordable to mere mortals like young naval officers...I just loved my time living on North Island. I was lucky enough to get base housing for my young family and it was great.
It's affordable with the given BAH, but don't expect to live in a palatial estate.....more like an 800-1200 s.f. apartment or loft.

crunchthehuman

pilot
Appreciate all the help everyone. I guess affordable, safe, and near base isn't as easy to find in San Diego as it was in Milton. Anyone have any experience with Chula Vista?

ea6bflyr

Working Class Bum
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Appreciate all the help everyone. I guess affordable, safe, and near base isn't as easy to find in San Diego as it was in Milton. Anyone have any experience with Chula Vista?
Yes, Old Chula Vista is between I-5 and I-805: Avoid
Newer Chula Vista is East of I-805. You may also consider Bonita.

I live in Eastern Chula Vista (bordering on Eastlake) and it's a nice area with good schools. (Affordable and Safe).

Pags

N/A
pilot
It's affordable with the given BAH, but don't expect to live in a palatial estate.....more like an 800-1200 s.f. apartment or loft.
I knew several JOs who lived on the island...their houses were small and lacked a lot of amenities beyond location. But the location and ability to walk to town, beach, playground, library, etc made up for a lot of what they lost.

RivrGuide

Admiral Hartman 4 Life
pilot
What's the typical wait list time for Hartman?
Can you get on said list as soon as you have orders or only once you've PCSed?

3-6 months, but sometimes people just walk in. I think once you detach from your duty station you can get on the list.

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
3-6 months, but sometimes people just walk in. I think once you detach from your duty station you can get on the list.

Didn't they recently implement a program where you can sign up for base housing once you have PCS orders? Don't have to wait to detach?

kejo

pilot
My family just moved in to Admiral Hartman about three months ago, we PCSed last October from Norfolk. That's what, about 10 months? Anyway, we love it there. I lived in the "party" end of PB as a JO, which was great, but Admiral Hartman is still a fairly short ride on the beach cruiser without having to deal with all the kids and their damn rap music. It's a great community, clean, quiet, safe, and for the money (aka BAH) it's a pretty sweet deal. Our only bill is cable, but you may have to pay a small water or electrical bill if your consumption exceeds whatever average for like-sized houses in the community. I was skeptical about moving in to military housing at first (it's like buying a Camry...sure it's a good car, but you gave up on your dreams), but I would recommend it to anyone.

We got on the wait list as soon as I received our orders, and if you get on the wait list within 30 days of arrival to your new duty station (including prior to PCSing), the Navy will pay for your in town move. You may be responsible for breaking your current lease. I know folks who pulled the wool over their landlord's eyes and convinced them that the orders to move in to military housing allowed them to break their lease in line with the relief act, but my property manager was smarter than that. Still, worth the fee, IMHO.

Sonny_0h

Point Loma
Bonita
North Park
Liberty Station
Bird Rock

These are few great spots in San Diego, All of the with their own little subcultures. Feel free to contact me - I have living in SD for 8 years.