• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Phones..Which is better quality for overseas use?

CodWife

Proud of my hubby!
For using a phone for overseas...What is the better product? Vonage, Skype or something else?
Thanks!!!!

webmaster

The Grass is Greener!
pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
I am assuming you are going to Japan, specifically Atsugi. I might have my reading comprehension from separate threads all jacked up... but...

We used Vonage while we were in Japan, with mixed success. The calling rates to the US were inexpensive from the base TELCOM, and a majority of our calls home were via land line. Vonage was useful for friends and family calling us though.

When I left the Kanto plain a year and a half ago, Americable was the main internet provider on base. Yokosuka was just getting fiber lines for the local higher speed DSL (45-100MB).

Here is Americable's link: http://site.americablejapan.com/

I am bringing that up, since vonage, skype, or whatever VOIP tech you are using, is going to depend on your ISP and the connection speed you have. High speed internet is not a problem off base in Japan (though there are some funny hoops you have to jump through with the landlord if he hasn't purchased a phone line). On base, the internet speeds have gotten a lot faster. Unfortunately, Americable started offering their own VOIP tech while we were there, and I saw a dramatic drop off in our Vonage performance.

You didn't ask, but also, for cell phones, we used AU and were quite pleased. I had four phones, and my monthly bill for the family was $70, compared with the $200 I am paying Verizon NOW in the states.

Helowifey probably has the best and most up to date gouge on Atsugi I would imagine.

rolo12

I've had friends use Vonage and were able to take it anywhere they went TAD while overseas...

statesman

Shut up woman... get on my horse.
pilot
What about the phones that you plug into your computer??? Are those worth the $200?

No experience with being over seas and using VOIP tech. Not Japan at least. I talk to friends of mine who are in London over Skype often enough, sounds great... can be better than my cell phone depending on network traffic.

Skype also has a phone from NetGear:
http://accessories.skype.com/servle...kype&id=ProductDetailsPage&productID=80816800

My dad has one, he likes it. The nice thing is you dont have to be at a computer, or even have one in the area. As long as you have access to a wireless network it can access your Skype account and make calls.

helo_wifey

I have Skype and I rarely use it. To call the States I use the base telecom and it's super cheap. We've never gone over $70 for local and long distance (to the States and other various countries througout the Pacific), and I talk to both my parents every week on set days for about an hour or so.

I've only used Skype as a means for others to call me, we got the paid US number service through them (works ok,I just never remember to turn it on). I also use it when I travel to call the States, etc.

We got the international plan from Soft Bank (a mobile provider in Japan) and use that a lot. It's been big $$$ some months but is worth it when I've been in port waiting for the husband and he can text me regarding when liberty is being called, or if he's on his way to meet me.

There is a "military grade" VOIP offered over there for $29.99 a month and is compatible with Americable (http://domatic.net/solutions/voice/military.php) <-- I don't know anything about it or know of anyone who had it but I'm sure it's just like Vonage. People we know use Vonage and haven't had issues.

We don't have Vonage or the Domatic and haven't had a need for it, it's whatever your family will need and who you call.

a_m

Still learning how much I don't know.
None
Hmm, good info.

Has anyone used Verizon with an international plan over in Japan?

Purdue

Chicks Dig Rotors...
pilot
((From Guam))
I have used Skype very successfully while waiting for my Vonage phone to arrive in the mail.

Vonage isunlimited for $24.99 a month, but gave me the first two months free and shipped the phone converter to me for free. I called with a minor complaint, and they gave me another free months. So, I haven't even used it yet and already they've credited my account for like $165 worth of stuff, including three free months!

You can pretty much plug it in anywhere you have a decent connection, and have unlimited calls... and I liked being able to set-up a local number for friends and family to call into. I recommend it over Skype, mainly because I like having an actual phone and not having to run a chat program on my computer.

statesman

Shut up woman... get on my horse.
pilot
I bought a skype handset since my last post in this thread. For 60 dollars a year I get a phone number that can be called from a regular phone and can call unlimited to anyone in the US regardless of where I am. The handset was about $100. I like it a lot so far.

pennst8

Next guy to ask about thumbdrives gets shot.
Contributor
I've been using skype on and off base in Atsugi. The call quality is near-perfect and its dirt cheap. Yes, your mileage will vary with the quality of your computer and the speed of your internet connection.

For sixty bucks a year I've got a local number in Maryland friends and family can call, voicemail, and unlimited* calls to US/Canada. Not to mention free skype-to-skype calls, chat, video-conferencing, etc.

*unlimited = 10,000 mins a month if you read the fine print...