• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

phone cards on boat

robav8r

None
Contributor
My experience has been the best phone cards to buy were from the ships MWR department or the ships store. I'm sure if he snoops around a bit, he'll get the gouge on what is the best buy and offers the most airtime minutes. Lots of folks on the ship can help him out - he just needs to ask.

Steve Wilkins

Teaching pigs to dance, one pig at a time.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I had a POTS line in my office, so I never had this problem. I always used the standard pre-paid phone card you buy in Walmart that you could refill. If your son doesn't have access to a POTS line, then he needs to make new friends. Tell him to bring a back of microwave popcorn down to the SWO's. SWO's like popcorn. They should be able to hook him up nicely.

Steve Wilkins

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
SWO's liking moboards is urban legend and mention of such by aviators is clear indication that the affending aviator(s) is/are clueless.

Steve Wilkins

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
UInavy said:
Much as the angry SWOs that I run into at breakfast think that I'm there because I've been up all night playing video games and have nothing better to do as we trundle across some nameless 'canal' or 'strait' or 'ocean' that really doesn't affect my day unless they can't find a way to stay out of the 'bumpy' parts of the water and the aforementioned video game system is dislodged from its unauthorized mounting or comes unplugged from the yet to be approved extension cord. Oops. Cat's out of the bag, now. Darn.
Whether your extension cord is approved or not, SWO's still don't like MOBOARDs. We do like popcorn though. :D

02Navy05VT

Hypertension Anyone?
Don't worry if you've sent him a pre-paid phone card, your son can use it during port calls. If he uses a domestic card on an international call, most of the pre-paid companies wont' give him minute-for-minute charges. In other words, a 300 minute card may only get him 100 minutes (or less) of talk-time.

If you don't hear from you son for a while, check the boat's website. Sometimes the ship shuts down communications for periods of time. They generally post a notice when they have shut down communication.(that means e-mail too). The website (for carriers) is usually updated on a daily basis. On occasion I've found a photo or two from my son's squadron on the site, showing a jet taking off or landing on the weekly photo gallery. It makes my day (and I choose to believe he's the guy in the cockpit).

Hang in there - first deployments are tough on everyone.