• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Philly police dont know the gun laws

bunk22

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator
hmm we need to at least qualify with our firearms in Texas every year. And pass. He should know what he has. And first problem with that is "cop at Starbucks" ...horrible

LOL...better than a donught shop no???

bunk22

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator
Not defending what seemed to be a poorly-handled situation, but as a citizen responsible for obeying the laws of our local/state/federal governments, can any of us honestly say that we know every law we are supposed to follow? I sure as hell don't. However, we are responsible for following both the letter and intent of every law out there. All we can do is try to do the right thing.

But most of us know the important ones which I think open carry falls under. Sure, there are many laws on the books that many don't know about but when it comes to something like openly carrying a firearm, it's pretty fucking important. The fact that these cops didn't know is inexcusible. Now, I will say that probably falls on their leadership as I assume as a whole, they should have been briefed on such a law.

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Holy balls. Philly just keeps on. Look, I'm all for checking the license of someone carrying a firearm; that's the law. I doubt many criminals open-carry, but whatever. A quick license check seems reasonable and prudent. But for fucks sake, do it in a professional, collected manner. Otherwise, you're just a bully with a badge. If it's so dangerous in Philly that the police feel they have to drop and frisk and question anyone open-carrying, then get the law changed. Harassing and intimidating citizens out of doing something they are legally entitled to do smacks of the police writing their own law, which isn't good any way you look at it.

And for the DA to get in on this act... What, complain about the police and you better get lawyered up, citizen?

You stay classy, Philly.

C420sailor

Former Rhino Bro
pilot
A LTCF is only required in Pennsylvania to open carry in a city of the first class. I think that's Philly and maybe Pittsburgh. Otherwise, a license is not required. PA police are not legally allowed to stop you and request to see your permit because you are open carrying, even in the case of a "man with a gun" call.

I used to carry concealed in PA. I open carried a few times just to see what it was like. I remember running into a cop in a pizza shop and the exchange went like this:

Cop: "Nice piece."
Me: "Thanks, you too."

It was a non event, and usually is. This cop sounds like an asshat.

scoolbubba

Brett327 gargles ballsacks
pilot
Contributor
A LTCF is only required in Pennsylvania to open carry in a city of the first class. I think that's Philly and maybe Pittsburgh. Otherwise, a license is not required. PA police are not legally allowed to stop you and request to see your permit because you are open carrying, even in the case of a "man with a gun" call.

At least one officer in Philadelphia doesn't give a shit about what he can and cannot legally do; several towns take the "arrest them on disorderly conduct" and let the courts work it out, approach. Both of these are bullshit, but the time to debate that is not when a trigger happy ass clown spewing profanities is pointing his service weapon at you.

Swanee

Cereal Killer
pilot
None
Contributor
I remember running into a cop in a pizza shop and the exchange went like this:

Cop: "Nice piece."
Me: "Thanks, you too."

It was a non event, and usually is. This cop sounds like an asshat.

This was in the head right?

Flugelman

Contributor
It's like a law of nature... All AirWarriors threads must devolve into this. :icon_tong

From Dictionary.com

en·tro·py

–noun 1. Thermodynamics . a. (on a macroscopic scale) a function of thermodynamic variables, as temperature, pressure, or composition, that is a measure of the energy that is not available for work during a thermodynamic process. A closed system evolves toward a state of maximum entropy.

b. (in statistical mechanics) a measure of the randomness of the microscopic constituents of a thermodynamic system. Symbol: S

2. (in data transmission and information theory) a measure of the loss of information in a transmitted signal or message.

3. (in cosmology) a hypothetical tendency for the universe to attain a state of maximum homogeneity in which all matter is at a uniform temperature (heat death).