• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

PFT Training Basics

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wanna_Be_A_Marine

Just wanted to ask for all of you guys (and ladies) that are scoring 250+ on the PFT what were you guys doing to get there? I started at a whopping 4 pull ups, and through pyramid work outs and training I am now up to 14. I know I need to keep improving, but I wanted to know what you guys did to get to where you are. My father is in the navy and we were stationed on P.I. and I would speak to a lot of the Marines that were walking around during family day. They were a big motivation for me, now my father is stationed at N.A.S Whiting Field and I met some Marine Corps officers and they are helping me with the ASTB. But I am still lacking in the PFT. It is mostly the 3 mi. run that is keeping me down. That and those 6 pull ups.[:(!]

So basically if you could give me your training program so I can compare and maybe tailor them to fit me would be great. Thanks.

Wanna_Be_A_Marine

I saw the one for the 5K, is that how you guys first started?
Also, I know about the Armstrong pull up work out. My OSO told me about it, and e-mailed me the link. Is that the best way to go?

marcurb

When you are working out for pull ups do exercises that will work your back. I was doing the PLC for a while and I use to do lat pull downs and sitting lat pulls, that and getting your arm strength up will help you out alot. I also would do my pull ups with my arms far apart and pull out with my elbows so as to use more of my back instead of my arms. Try that. Running is what i had trouble with too. I only passed that damn pft like twice. The only thing I can tell you there is to run run run. I mean really run 5 days a week, dont over do it but push yourself to the max when you run. Do quarter mile sprints one day and a long like 4 to 5 mile run the next. Get your lungs and legs use to the endurance. Swimming will help to, but not as much as actually foot to pavement. Keep up the hard work, dont give up on yourself and the marine corps wont give up on you. Good luck.

"Gentlemen: All the Branches of the Service are 'Honorable and Noble.' Each one of you has served your country well. Be proud of that."

(signed) GOD, USN (Ret)

JF

I started on the process over a year ago and came a long way on the PFT. I still want to improve and change things up so I am going to try the Armstrong program. Prior to that I did weighted pullups and lost weight. That got my pullups from 10 to 17 (underhand). I am switching to overhand now because most of the stuff at OCS I understand requires a strong overhand grip (like the obstacles). I also am working my forearms 3 times a week to inprove my pullup grip. As far as running goes, I had always jogged long distances so I had somewhat of a base to start with. To improve my 3 mile time I made sure each week I did at LEAST one 3 mile PFT pace run, a 4 mile FARTLEK run (where you sprint for a while then, cut back, sprint, cut back) and a 7 mile or longer run at a comfortable pace. These runs were my core running workout. In addition to those I would do 2 more 4 mile or longer runs at a good pace (aiming for 7 min miles or better). Of course not every run was a personal best but the point is to do them so you lose weight and build endurance. Don't worry you will improve - everyone does with patience and persistence.

Status
Not open for further replies.