• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

PFT at OCS

Status
Not open for further replies.

orangecrush007

Hey I have a couple questions about how the PFT is completed while at OCS. How critical are they of your pullup technique? Will they warn you or will they just not count one? A guy at the recruiting office told me you just get your eyes to the bar and lift your neck at one PFT. But another guy at the same office was against that style during another PFT. Also what is the course like? Hilly at all? And also, when I do my crunches I will do 20, rest for 5 seconds and continue this cycle to 100. WIll they be cool with that?

THanks

splendid_splinter

HMLA flyer
with pull-ups, your chin HAS to come above the bar. and you can't
"kip" at all. which is use some sort of body or leg motion to kind of bounce you up there. has to be smoothly up and down. arms all the way locked out on the downside..

sit ups... you can do 99 in 30 seconds and lay there for 88 seconds and do your last one if you want to. can't "kip" there either though. butt has to stay on the deck.

the run course was flat and on pavement when i was there. just circled the parade deck and penny lane like three and a half times. at tbs, though, it's a bit hilly.. and trafficcy..

Banjo33

AV-8 Type
pilot
I think its the "arms locked out" that gets most people. It's pretty hard to cheat the up side of the pull up, but a lot of people (myself included) attempt to cheat them on the down side of it -- more out of bad habit/technique than anything else.

E5B

Lineholder
pilot
Super Moderator
especially when you're used to the old "kip" way, makes it hard to come to a complete stop with elbows locked out

"You forgot your fortune cookie"

Dirty Harry

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator
I don't know about how OCS is anymore, as it's been 8 years, but I've always quarreled over the definition of "dead hang." One can "lock out" one's elbows without coming to a complete stop. It's not too good on the joints, but I think I can take it 2x a year. I went to a CGI PFT once, and the colonel in charge was having Marines do something like, "down, lock out, PAUSE, then up." There was NO momentum allowed. People saw their p/u decrease from 20 to 13 or 14.

Phrogs phorever

davidsin

What are the pft standards for officers that successfully completed OCS and TBS?

------------------------------------------
Semper Fi

Status
Not open for further replies.