• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

PCSing help

SavvyPR

LCDR, Navy Reserve PAO
I've done some searching on here, but can't find exactly what I am looking for. I'm looking at my first upcoming PCS move in May and we are going to have the Navy move us (hubby has moved DITY before).

How did set up your move and movers? I've tried SmartMove, but it "doesn't service our area." We are moving from NRD Michigan (recruiting station) to Bangor and so the closest Navy base to us is 3+ hours away at Great Lakes in Chicago.

So I guess I'm wondering how you have set up your move in the past and what companies you have used. Is there another/better way to move than SmartMove since we can't use it?

scoolbubba

Brett327 gargles ballsacks
pilot
Contributor
Are you moving from a base to another base? There should be a Personal Property Office that can handle your questions. They are the ones who will walk you thru the paperwork, pack out, and actual move, and on the other end are the ones who will set up your delivery and handle any claims you've got.

SavvyPR

LCDR, Navy Reserve PAO
Are you moving from a base to another base? There should be a Personal Property Office that can handle your questions. They are the ones who will walk you thru the paperwork, pack out, and actual move, and on the other end are the ones who will set up your delivery and handle any claims you've got.

No, we are moving from Kalamazoo, Michigan to Bangor Naval Base. Hubby is a recruiter and the closest base to us is 3+ hours away (and we aren't even considered to be stationed there). We are stationed in NRD Michigan, which is the recruiting district.

So should we contact our destination base for help since we aren't assigned to one here?

DocT

Dean of Students
pilot
My wife and I PCS'd from GR to Quantico. We did a full DITY, but we went through the PPO at Selfridge ANG base in Detroit. The ladies there were helpful and knew what they were talking about. It's closer than Great Lakes.

UMichfly

pilot
None
When I PCSed from Ann Arbor to Pensacola, I did it through Selfridge as well. I wasn't assigned there or anything but they do have a Personal Property office that handles these kinds of things. They will hand walk you through everything you need to know/everything you need to do.
Link

Casual

Jammin'
None
Yeah, when my wife and I PCSd from Reno, NV to Pensacola, we went through the PPO at NAS Fallon, NV. Whichever base is closest to you is probably the one you use.

Flying Low

Yea sure or Yes Sir?
pilot
Contributor
www.move.mil is a new web site for setting up your move. Here is some more info on it. However I don't know if it ready to be used based off of where you live. Good luck.

The re-engineering of Department of Defense’s Personal Property Shipping processes has arrived. The new program is DPS (Defense Personal Property System). NAS Pensacola and NAS Whiting Field go live on 16 March 2009. DPS offers self-counseling and is designed to provide a single, centralized, web-based system for the management of personal property shipments for Department of Defense and US Coast Guard members. To access DPS, members will login through www.move.mil to register for DPS using the ETA system. DoD customers must follow the steps noted on the site to register via ETA for DPS. DoD customers will access DPS the first time utilizing their Controlled Access Card (CAC). This will be used to generate their login credentials and those of their alternates (sponsor users).

Currently, you cannot use DPS if your shipment conditions are one of the following, however, you can use SmartWebMove:

A). Personally Procured Moves (PPM)/DITY
B). Joint (military) or Combined (military) Spouse moves
C). For shipments with a potential Excess Cost associated such as:
1. More than on domestic shipment to/from same origin/destination
2. Shipments to other than authorized locations as indicated on the orders
3. Any shipment with an additional pickup more than 50 miles from origin