• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

PCS Move

xmid

pilot
Contributor
If this is the wrong place to pose this question I appologize and mods please move it, but I was wondering when your orders state that you are authorized a PCS move how long do you have to actually carry out the move? I wanted to wait a while before actually moving my stuff (DITY), but I didn't want to wait only to find out my move had expired. Thanks in advance for any advice.

Tom

pilot
Contributor
To be honest, I'm kind of confused what you are asking. Finding out your move had expired would equate to being UA.

Your orders should have a specific detach date and a specific checkin date. I doubt you will get any say on the dates except for extenuating circumstances. The time enroute is determined by the driving distance divided by 350 and rounded up. This will provide the days of travel assuming no leave in conjunction.

xmid

pilot
Contributor
I'm not talking about travel days, I'm talking about actually moving my stuff. I had a friend from OCS that had the Navy move his fiance's furniture down to Pensacola as his PCS (up to 10,000) about 6-8 months after he had moved to Pensacola. I'm wondering what the time window for moving or having the Navy move your stuff is.

Belle

two babies make a mama insane
You're talking about a Home of Record move. You get one of these during your career There isn't a time limit for it, but it has to be from the city where you enter the service from and you only get one during your career.

The only way anyone would be able to do that for their fiancee is if she was moving from the same city where he entered the service from and he claimed that it was his stuff they were moving.

xmid

pilot
Contributor
No, I'm talking about when the Navy moves your stuff. As in Permanent Change of Station move. They will move your household goods for you or you can do it yourself (DITY), in my case up to 10,000 pounds. I'm wondering how long I can wait before I lose my household goods move. Any help I could get without having to drive down to Pensacola to ask Personal property would be greatly appreciated.

lmnop

JFTR Chapter 5 has the rules for a delayed/deferred PCS move, but it's kinda vague. Always check the JFTR for travel/move/transportation questions prior to taking your case to PSD. Knowing the rules does wonders for calibrating your bullshit meter.

jus2mch

MOTIVATOR
Contributor
No, I'm talking about when the Navy moves your stuff. As in Permanent Change of Station move. They will move your household goods for you or you can do it yourself (DITY), in my case up to 10,000 pounds. I'm wondering how long I can wait before I lose my household goods move. Any help I could get without having to drive down to Pensacola to ask Personal property would be greatly appreciated.

This is what you want:
3. PCS HHG transportation authorizes a member to SIT unless prohibited, until the member arranges for a new permanent residence. SIT may be authorized at any combination of origin, in transit, or destination. See
Chapter 5, Part D.

L. Delayed/Deferred Use of PCS Allowances. The member may elect not to move dependents and HHG (or a mobile home in lieu of HHG) when authorized. However, dependents’ travel and transportation allowances for still eligible dependents and HHG (for some or all of the HHG) or mobile home transportation costs are payable incident to a subsequent PCS, using a combination of PCS orders. Allowances are limited to the greater of the distances in items 1and 2. The previous sentence does not provide for transportation of non-command-sponsored dependents from an OCONUS PDS

Study up here
http://perdiem.hqda.pentagon.mil/perdiem/jftr(ch1-ch10).pdf

Belle

two babies make a mama insane

This is from the JFTR; apologies for my previous confusion about your question.

H. Time Limitation. Unless otherwise prescribed in JFTR, a member's HHG transportation authorization may be used any time while the authorization/order remains in effect and prior to receipt of another PCS authorization/order, as long as the HHG transportation is incident to the member's PCS rather than for personal reasons (45 Comp. Gen.
589 (1966); B-183436, 22 July 1975).

Example: A member is ordered PCS from Location A to Location B. When an authorization/order from Location B to Location C is received, the member can no longer ship from Location A to Location B using the authorization/
order from Location A to Location B (as there can be no intent to establish a permanent residence at Location B since the member is under an authorization/order to Location C). However, the member can ship from Location A to Location C (see par. U5310-A3) and/or from Location B to Location C.

FLYTPAY

Pro-Rec Fighter Pilot
pilot
None
Be cautious with delaying it too long. Make sure first that you get it in writing that you will get your money. Budget cuts and tightness with the checkbook will make it more tempting for them to screw you. If you don't believe it, you are asking for it.