• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

OCS PCS after OCS with family

Intel101

Ready too see my dream come a reality
Good evening,

What is the processs for AD prior enlisted after graduating OCS specifically for SWO officers with dependents. I have three children and wife and they will of course stay in San diego while I am in OCS. I look through some threads and it looks like ships are picked halfway through OCS with orders not coming near the end.

My question is once ship and location are confirmed (my goal is Norfolk) does the PCS process and schedule of picking up HHG start while in OCS? The reason why I ask is i know in some situations some SWOs go straight to their ships before going to BDOC. Also trying to schedule a HHG shipment after OCS can take time.

I know during PCS you are not charged leave but where do you report when waiting for shippers and packaging up your house if command not in the same location? Are you charged leave and where do you report in my case if I'm in San Diego and possibly PCS to Norfolk or anywhere else? I know the Navy not going to let me free lance for couple weeks so I'm just trying to draw from other people experiences.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Good evening,

What is the processs for AD prior enlisted after graduating OCS specifically for SWO officers with dependents. I have three children and wife and they will of course stay in San diego while I am in OCS. I look through some threads and it looks like ships are picked halfway through OCS with orders not coming near the end.

My question is once ship and location are confirmed (my goal is Norfolk) does the PCS process and schedule of picking up HHG start while in OCS? The reason why I ask is i know in some situations some SWOs go straight to their ships before going to BDOC. Also trying to schedule a HHG shipment after OCS can take time.

I know during PCS you are not charged leave but where do you report when waiting for shippers and packaging up your house if command not in the same location? Are you charged leave and where do you report in my case if I'm in San Diego and possibly PCS to Norfolk or anywhere else? I know the Navy not going to let me free lance for couple weeks so I'm just trying to draw from other people experiences.
You can initiate the HHG process when PERS cuts your orders. If there's a delay, you can probably stay attached to OCS administratively until you're able to detach/go to SD to handle your move/family. Once you graduate OCS (or are close), you can coordinate this kind of thing with admin. Otherwise, you'll have up to 30 days leave authorized, so what you do with that is up to you. I would also contact your gaining command and let them know what your plan is, as they may need you to show up sooner due to ship's movement.

This is general guidance for effecting the PCS/HHG process. Someone who has recently been through OCS as a SWO can chime in with more specific info. Bottom line, lots of people do what you'll be doing, so don't sweat it. You'll figure it out.