• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Passing the Physical

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brooklyn

Alright dudes, here's the deal...I'm married, 25, and seriously considering joining up to serve my country and fulfill my lifelong dream of flying for the Navy. You know what I'm talking about. BUT, I have an illness called chronic hives that is very unpredictable. Some days are bearable, just a few hear and there, whie others require drugs to suppress the itching and help the hives go away. Fortunately, This is the exception. I developed this disease while in college down in P'Cola. I worked on grounds one summer and got it from the extreme exposure to heat. I also developed bad allergies that I am currently being treated for with shots. A "Screwtop" friend of mine told me that he is good friends with someone who flies C-2s and in his words is a "walking allergy". He is encouraging me to go for it. For those of you that are familiar with it, what are my chances of passing the physical? I've heard they are extremely picky for pilots.

PeacoatMan

Brooklyn,

Here is a link, when you get there click "Dermatitis": http://www.nomi.med.navy.mil/Nami/WaiverGuideTopics/dermatology.htm

After you look at that, go to this next link and click the "Physical exams and standards", and explore the site: http://www.nomi.med.navy.mil/Nami/WaiverGuideTopics/index.htm

Hope this helps -- don't give up,
Joey

Dave Shutter

quote: I've heard they are extremely picky for pilots.

Brooklyn...while Airwarriors and Bogeys And Bandits... made getting selected for pilot sound like getting picked for Survivor, I can assure you that there are an ample # of openings and these days you can get waivers for a lot of conditions that would have previously made it impossible for you to fly. Your condition may not be a problem but if it is then make people so sick of telling you NO that they give up and say YES, worked for me.

Brooklyn

David,
It's funny that you mentioned those books as I have read them both. Well, in the process of finishing up B&B. What do you have that you had to get pushed through? Joey, thanks for the links dude. I'll check these out. Does anyone know how slow the app. process is taking at the moment? I will be turning 26 in July and I know you have to be commissioned by 27 for aviation.

Brooklyn

I don't take steroids (have in the past, did nothing for me) but I do take Allegra, Zyrtec, and Singulair quite regularly while I'm on shots. I get the shots every week to treat my seasonal allergies including dust, pet dander, etc. (for another 4 months, then it's spread out a little more) and when I get an extreme case of hives, I take a drug called Doxepin which according to the doctor is 100x the power of Benedryl. Not a good pill to take for your 6hr. hops! I rarely have to take this extreme though.

I never had hives before that summer in P'Cola. They came on quite severely towards the end of the summer. Currently, I get them after eating certain foods and if I am exposed to a radient heat for a while or breath in smoke. Trust me, my doctors have tried EVERYTHING, except of course whatever you took to take it away in three weeks. What was it??!!!

Does it get hot in the cockpit, or are the sun's rays shielded somehow? One more thing, got your message on the other post. Thanks for the info. I couldn't say "no" to the allergy question in the physical with a clear conscience. Unless of course, the "wonderdrug" you took works for me too!

Status
Not open for further replies.