• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Parachuting in API?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dave Shutter

Over at the class 001700 page they have pics of students parachuting, PLF: parachute landing field??. I have never heard of that as part of the navy API curriculum. They were all in flight suits so it wasn't a weekend thing. Also, the pictures did not show a tower of any sort so I'm quessing they jumped from a plane? Info anyone...

D

webmaster

The Grass is Greener!
pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
From what I understand, one of my friends recently went through API and is now in VT6, he told me that they basically "tow" you behind a truck, while you have on a parachute/parasail(?) and then you get "dropped"... Sort of similar to those vacation resorts deals where they tow you behind a boat.

I'll see if I can bug him into responding to this post. Since I obviously don't have the first hand information on it, just vague recollections of him telling me about it at a BBQ of mine... mmm... beer... mmm... steak....

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Okay, okay. I'll tear myself away from my busy schedule of having canceled flights or not flying to give you the lowdown on the PLF's. :)

The first day you spend jumping of platform about 4 ft tall onto gravel simulating the landings that you would do when parachuting. If you've see Independance Day, when Will Smith ejects and them lands on the ground, well, that's how NOT to land. After spending most of the day doing that (and getting drug across the ground by your buddies) you go home crawl into bed because you're so damn sore.

The next day they take you out Horak Field (DON'T FLY OVER IT!!!!!! Immediate down in the plane). Like John said, they hook you up to the back of a truck and start pulling. The first time you're tethered, the second they let you lose. It was actually a lot gentler than just jumping off the 4 ft platform. I was really surprised. The second day was pretty cool. I was worried about injuring (sp?) something, but if you follow their directions, you won't. And I even landed on my knees on one and was okay.

By the way, PLF is Parachute Landing Fall. Hope that helps. Let me know if you want more info.

Status
Not open for further replies.