• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

P3 windshear escape procedure

Status
Not open for further replies.

kiwirob

Windshear escape procedures - P3

Greetings,

I have been doing some research into the subject. While I understand the use of max power and the pitch attitude, I do not understand the retraction of gear and the leaving of flap in its current configuration - particularly the land flap scenario.

Land flap provides the most drag, whilst the gear only a little.

I would be keen to hear any comments on the issue

cheers

virtu050

P-8 Bubba
pilot
just a thought.. but gear has nothing but drag... flaps provide both lift AND drag. if you're low and slow the last thing you want to eliminate is lift. Max power, get to that Vy/Vx pitch attitude and eliminate drag.

VarmintShooter

Bottom of the barrel
pilot
Well, you resurected an almost two year old thread to ask(?), but I believe that the answer is this ...

When you retract the gear, add max power, and set your pitch attitude you go up. When you retract your flaps the aircraft will 'settle' (read as go down first, then up). The concern is of course obvious, you don't want to do anything that might lose you any altitude at all.

At least, I think that's what I read about this ...

Squid

F U Nugget
pilot
it probably would have been better to start a new thread instead of bringing back a very old one.

In the t-34, you have to be ABOVE 90kts in order to raise the flaps. If you are below 90kts and raise flaps, you decrease the amount of lift the wing can produce at that particular angle of attack. going that slow and yanking the flaps up will put your angle of attack near to or above the stall threshhold. the t-34 can take off at near 60kts with flaps down, and we rotate at 80kts with them up. yes, the flaps add drag, but with the turbine at full tilt there is enough thrust to overcome the increased drag.

p-3's... no idea.

zab1001

pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
virtu got it right.

gear up, leave flaps as is for the lift. raise em when yer out of the windshear.

P-3 dood doing all this sh!t again...

Status
Not open for further replies.