• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

P3 duty

Status
Not open for further replies.

webmaster

The Grass is Greener!
pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
After your first two tours you do what is a called a "disassociated tour", which is two years on the boat. Though there are ways around that, especially with the community hurting for pilots.

Ed Williams

What do the first two tours consist of? Where exactely do you go? I know that jet/helo pilots do tours on carriers, where do p3 pilots do a tour?
ed

Tripp

You think you hate it now...
Knowing John's luck, he'll probably get stashed on the same boat that Steve is on.

webmaster

The Grass is Greener!
pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Personally, I would rather just skip the time on the boat and the whole disassociated sea tour thing, and spend that time flying. The career track for me is:

FIRST DUTY ASSIGNMENT: 3 to 3.5 (max) years at my first operational P3 Squadron (either VP - Patrol or VQ - Recon). Right now I am in the home stretch of finishing up my FRS for VP.

SECOND DUTY ASSIGNMENT: After the first tour, you can go instruct in T34C (Corpus/Whiting), C12/T44 for Advanced in Corpus, T45 in Kingsville, or at the P3 FRS, this is a 2 - 2.5 year tour. You can also get a good deal tour and fly with the Brits or other nationalities with an Officer exchange tour. If you don't want to fly, you can also put your name in for a Flag LT slot, or work in various Staff jobs that are available. One of the IPs I know went from his first tour to a job at NORAD on a joint staff tour.

THIRD DUTY ASSIGNMENT: 2 years disassociated sea tour. There are ways to get around this, if you extended on your first two assignments, then you probably ate up your seven year commitment from wings. But for me, I will probably have 3 months left, plus 3 more to go till retirement, so knowing my luck I will be over a barrel and have to go the boat.

Basically this is everything I have been able to learn to date, I am sure there is a bunch of stuff that I am unaware of, and will learn in due time. But this is the general off the cuff answer.

As for getting stuck on Steve's boat (haha, everyone is picking up my phraseology Steve! Honestly though Steve is right, in the skimmer and bubblehead Navy, you refer to subs as "boats" and surface vessels as "ships") well, you generally get put on a carrier as ANAV or something like that, god, those moboard and nav skills I learned in college will actually come to some fruition!

webmaster

The Grass is Greener!
pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Matt.... hmm, I'll think that over, let's see, two years not flying, no flight pay, stuck on the boat watching you fly off the boat every day... OR ... wrangle another tour flying the P3 and flying "over" the boat (like a P3 would ever fly near a CBG's airspace anyways...), you decide

Seriously though, heard a couple pilots mention that they had a "good" time as shooter on the boat, better tour than they thought they would have had. But still, two years out of the cockpit.

Falcaner

DCA "Don't give up the ship"
Matt,
Question for you, is what John said for P3's similar for jets or is a bit different?

nickou23

Other than your previous 2 tours extending such that you get around the disassociated sea tour, are there any other ways around it that you guys know of? Just curious.

Status
Not open for further replies.