• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Orthognathic Surgery

UpSidEdown777

Applicant
Howdy,

I've used the search function and I've gone through the waiver guide and have not been able to find any info on this. I've been told I need this surgery to fix my bite. They want me to have braces for a year then surgery on my upper jaw only (have a slight under bite) and then braces for another 4 months. The reason I need the surgery is not for cosmetic purposes; I am beginning to develop TMJ problems as a result of my improper bite-relationship (bummer that I already had braces as a kid). Anyways, I can't think of any reason why this surgery might be disqualifying or need a waiver, especially since there is not any info in the waiver guide but you never know. I figure that by the time I get my package together, get pro rec'd (fingers crossed) and go to OCS I'll be done or at least close to done with this whole crappy surgery deal. Thanks for your help.

jamnww

Hangar Four
pilot
Howdy,

I've used the search function and I've gone through the waiver guide and have not been able to find any info on this. I've been told I need this surgery to fix my bite. They want me to have braces for a year then surgery on my upper jaw only (have a slight under bite) and then braces for another 4 months. The reason I need the surgery is not for cosmetic purposes; I am beginning to develop TMJ problems as a result of my improper bite-relationship (bummer that I already had braces as a kid). Anyways, I can't think of any reason why this surgery might be disqualifying or need a waiver, especially since there is not any info in the waiver guide but you never know. I figure that by the time I get my package together, get pro rec'd (fingers crossed) and go to OCS I'll be done or at least close to done with this whole crappy surgery deal. Thanks for your help.

I have been looking into this for a while now, for my own reasons, and here is what I found out so far. Realize that I am not satisfied with this answer and by no means am I sure it is the final one.

I have been told that "braces" are an automatic med-downer for the duration if you use an oxegyn mask (jets) and that for all other platforms it means you are non-deployable for the duration and some doc's have told me its a downer there too while others say they would allow it. Not sure if it helps but I would be interested in what you find too...

Carlos Caliente

None
We have a guy with braces flying over dirkadirkastan right now. Having his bite realigned much like you describe, so it can definately be done while still flying. There are some worries about having braces on carriers (no ability on board to adjust them) but it all worked out fine. I won't recommend holding off until you get to that stage, if it's bothering you now get it fixed.

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Can't go to Navy OCS while in orthodontia. You will have to be done before you go. I don't know the rules for active duty. I defer to the advice/experiences above until Doc rogers up.

feddoc

Really old guy
Contributor
Orthognathic....crap, another word I have to look up. :)

Call the Physical Qualifications folks on the NOMI web page. 850-452-2257 x 1074
They can give you far better gouge than I can.