• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Order of OCS Packet Application

Hello all,

A short brief of my current situation:
I am currently active duty and stationed on a carrier that is about to deploy. I had my ASTB test scheduled before the deployment but unfortunately the deployment has moved up and I will not be able to take the ASTB before we go.

I was hoping someone here would know if I have to take the ASTB first before moving on with the OCS checklist or can I get my flight physical, obtain LOR’s, do my interviews, etc. while I am on deployment so that way when I get back all I have to do is take the test?

I understand passing the ASTB is basically the most important part of this application but I am pretty confident I will do well on it and I will have PLENTY of time to study for it while on deployment. I am older and getting close to that cutoff age of 32 (just turned 30) so I am doing my best to get everything together to submit ASAP.

Any and all information is greatly appreciated!

Bigg

Pro Rec IP
The order in which you complete the items required to submit an OCS application doesn't matter. You just need to be able to provide everything asked for when it comes time to submit your application.

The only reason it might matter is when it comes time to get LORs, Interviews, or your CO's endorsement. Those Officers may prefer to see your scores on something like the ASTB prior to writing a recommendation or providing an interview.

Conqueror’sHaki

SWOTIVATED MUSTANG
I have read over the information pertaining to OCS in the 1420.1B and have saved/printed both. I’ve noticed they have lowered the ASTB scores again as well. Must be really hurting for pilots.

That alone should have answered your question then. Knock everything out with the exception of the OAR and CO’s endorsement, and possibly the medical portion.

Bigg

Pro Rec IP
That alone should have answered your question then. Knock everything out with the exception of the OAR and CO’s endorsement, and possibly the medical portion.

I just reviewed both of these documents, the 1420.1B (chapter 4) and the OCS checklist posted on MyNavyHR, and neither of them specify the order in which one must complete the items on any checklist, at least as far as I found. I also reviewed the outdated OCS checklist in Appendix C of the 1420.1B, and it's the only location where it even mentioned "order" in which one submits anything. The order in which the documents are submitted (at least according to the Appendix C checklist) isn't relevant to the question being asked by Justin. I also checked out 1420.1B chapter 1, pages 1-2 through 1-3, as those pages refer to OCS, and there is no mention of the order one proceeds with the OCS checklist.

Could you please tell me where in either of the references mentioned where it explicitly answers the question asked by Justin? I'd like to know so I can be better prepared to help others.

Last edited:

Conqueror’sHaki

SWOTIVATED MUSTANG
I just reviewed both of these documents, the 1420.1B (chapter 4) and the OCS checklist posted on MyNavyHR, and neither of them specify the order in which one must complete the items on any checklist, at least as far as I found. I also reviewed the outdated OCS checklist in Appendix C of the 1420.1B, and it's the only location where it even mentioned "order" in which one submits anything. The order in which the documents are submitted (at least according to the Appendix C checklist) isn't relevant to the question being asked by Justin. I also checked out 1420.1B chapter 1, pages 1-2 through 1-3, as those pages refer to OCS, and there is no mention of the order one proceeds with the OCS checklist.

Could you please tell me where in either of the references mentioned where it explicitly answers the question asked by Justin? I'd like to know so I can be better prepared to help others.

You answered his question already in your initial response. I was just pointing out that the references would have already answered that question to begin with.

Bigg

Pro Rec IP
You answered his question already in your initial response. I was just pointing out that the references would have already answered that question to begin with.
They don't answer his question though, as no mention of how one proceeds with the checklist is actually present in the references, at least as far as I could tell in my review of said references.

That's why I asked you if you could point me to where within those references it explicitly answers his question, so as to be more knowledgeable on the references myself.

Conqueror’sHaki

SWOTIVATED MUSTANG
They don't answer his question though, as no mention of how one proceeds with the checklist is actually present in the references, at least as far as I could tell in my review of said references.

That's why I asked you if you could point me to where within those references it explicitly answers his question, so as to be more knowledgeable on the references myself.

You’re nuking this Bigg time ??‍♂️

If there was a prescribed order in which an OCS application should be compiled, the references would have provided specific information and guidelines on how that is done.

There would be clear and concise information in stating that an ASTB/OAR must be complete prior to working any of the other line items of the checklist.

But since it does not include any of that, Justin is good to go on everything else until he can accomplish a competitive ASTB after deployment.

Bigg

Pro Rec IP
You’re nuking this Bigg time ??‍♂️

If there was a prescribed order in which an OCS application should be compiled, the references would have provided specific information and guidelines on how that is done.

There would be clear and concise information in stating that an ASTB/OAR must be complete prior to working any of the other line items of the checklist.

But since it does not include any of that, Justin is good to go on everything else until he can accomplish a competitive ASTB after deployment.
When I refer someone to an instruction or guidance, it's because their question can be explicitly answered in said instruction or guidance. There will be something within either instruction/guidance that specifically answers their question. I see the part that I bolded as something that would be explained to someone rather then having them searching fruitlessly through an instruction for something that doesn't exist.

Perhaps we just have different styles in how we refer people to instructions or guidance.

Deegy15

Aviation Structural Mechanic - Safety Equipment
When I was grabbing all my paperwork, I didn't do it on order. However, as someone mentioned above, some Os probably want to see your ASTB scores for a reference on their type up.

For me, I am just waiting on my CO's endorsement then I will be able to submit on this upcoming AUG board.

Conqueror’sHaki

SWOTIVATED MUSTANG
When I refer someone to an instruction or guidance, it's because their question can be explicitly answered in said instruction or guidance. There will be something within either instruction/guidance that specifically answers their question. I see the part that I bolded as something that would be explained to someone rather then having them searching fruitlessly through an instruction for something that doesn't exist.

Perhaps we just have different styles in how we refer people to instructions or guidance.

Different styles indeed.

Deegy15

Aviation Structural Mechanic - Safety Equipment
I was hoping someone here would know if I have to take the ASTB first before moving on with the OCS checklist or can I get my flight physical, obtain LOR’s, do my interviews, etc. while I am on deployment so that way when I get back all I have to do is take the test?

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe you can gather your package (other than ASTB) during deployment pretty easy. As per our HM, flight physical will be easy, as they'll serve less sailors at the ship comparing to a shore base medical facility. Importantly, your interviewers and LORs personnel will be in the ship most of the time (I hope).