• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Options with 60 6/5/6 ASTB (last attempt)

BusterScruggs

Good morning (or whatever time this reaches you) everyone, I'm in a bind and could use some advice. I scored 60 6/5/6 on my last ASTB attempt a few months ago. I planned on flying for the Marines, I have a 3.6 GPA double major economics and finance, no prior service or flight experience, and a 285 PFT. I tried to get the one point waiver that used to exist, but it does not exist anymore and I was pretty much told by my OSO that there is nothing you can do to get around not meeting the PFAR minimum, so I kind of just 'ate it' and decided to start working on a ground contract, but before I fully commit and submit to the board for ground I have a few questions:

- Does anyone know of any possible version changes that may be coming that would allow me another attempt?
- I saw recently that the Navy lowered their ASTB standards, are they hurting for pilots and starting to consider lower scores? I looked through a spreadsheet in another forum and found only one applicant who go accepted for SNA with a 5 PFAR
- I saw in a recent MARADMIN that my scores would qualify me for UAS officer (USMC) but I can't find much on that, has anyone got any details?
- It looks like I would maybe have a shot at NFO with this score, would that be the safest bet?

I'm not making excuses for scoring poorly, unfortunately it was not due to lack of drive/ studying - I've always been a bad test taker and I'd hate for an aptitude test to keep me out of naval aviation completely, but I am aware that is the whole point on the test. Any input would be appreciated, this is sort of my last resort before pursuing a ground slot at OCS. Thanks!

Last edited:

exNavyOffRec

- Does anyone know of any possible version changes that may be coming that would allow me another attempt?
- I saw recently that the Navy lowered their ASTB standards, are they hurting for pilots and starting to consider lower scores? I looked through a spreadsheet in another forum and found only one applicant who go accepted for SNA with a 5 PFAR

- It looks like I would maybe have a shot at NFO with this scores, would that be the safest bet?
Version changes happen infrequently and notification is given with little notice.

The USN is in no way hurting for SNA's not sure who told you that and the score lowering just put it back where it was before, but the end result is the same it is a rarity for a person to get picked with a 5. The most recent board has SNA's scheduled for OCS nearly a year out and the next board is in danger of being cancelled.

Yes, that is probably your safest bet.

BusterScruggs

Thank you very much
Version changes happen infrequently and notification is given with little notice.

The USN is in no way hurting for SNA's not sure who told you that and the score lowering just put it back where it was before, but the end result is the same it is a rarity for a person to get picked with a 5. The most recent board has SNA's scheduled for OCS nearly a year out and the next board is in danger of being cancelled.

Yes, that is probably your safest bet

FinkUFreaky

pilot
Good morning (or whatever time this reaches you) everyone, I'm in a bind and could use some advice. I scored 60 6/5/6 on my last ASTB attempt a few months ago. I planned on flying for the Marines, I have a 3.6 GPA double major economics and finance, no prior service or flight experience, and a 285 PFT. I tried to get the one point waiver that used to exist, but it does not exist anymore and I was pretty much told by my OSO that there is nothing you can do to get around not meeting the PFAR minimum, so I kind of just 'ate it' and decided to start working on a ground contract, but before I fully commit and submit to the board for ground I have a few questions:

- I saw in a recent MARADMIN that my scores would qualify me for UAS officer (USMC) but I can't find much on that, has anyone got any details?
- It looks like I would maybe have a shot at NFO with this score, would that be the safest bet?

I'm not making excuses for scoring poorly, unfortunately it was not due to lack of drive/ studying - I've always been a bad test taker and I'd hate for an aptitude test to keep me out of naval aviation completely, but I am aware that is the whole point on the test. Any input would be appreciated, this is sort of my last resort before pursuing a ground slot at OCS. Thanks!
Marine NFO's are a thing of the past, supposedly. Over the past few years, I've heard the last Marine NFO's were coming through quite a few times. Last ones I saw were a few months ago... But if you're thinking Navy possibly, I'd personally go Navy NFO over Marine ground 1000 times out of 100, with no experience whatsoever as to what Marine ground entails, admittedly.

BusterScruggs

Marine NFO's are a thing of the past, supposedly. Over the past few years, I've heard the last Marine NFO's were coming through quite a few times. Last ones I saw were a few months ago... But if you're thinking Navy possibly, I'd personally go Navy NFO over Marine ground 1000 times out of 100, with no experience whatsoever as to what Marine ground entails, admittedly.
I should have clarified - when I mentioned possibly going NFO I did mean Navy, I have confirmed through my OSO that the Marines are unfortunately phasing out/ have phased out the aircraft that required NFO's. The Marine Corps was 100% my first choice but that was when I was assuming I'd reach their minimum scores for an air contract. From my research it looks like I could possibly have a shot at Navy NFO with my scores, GPA, and resume (current college athlete, volunteer hours, blah blah) and the delays in the selection board/ OCS process mentioned by exNavyOffRec might be worked out by the time I graduate (currently a Junior). But I would hate to throw away the possibility of getting selected for USMC OCS this summer to never get selected for NFO by the Navy. I am genuinely one of those people who would just love to serve period, regardless of the job, so I'd be over the moon with either, but nonetheless I need to decide which is the best option for me. Thank you and Merry Christmas!