• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Options for Navy pilot>Medical school>Civilian residency Pathway?

asaren

From what I know there are only two options for navy pilot to go to medical school and civilian residency after completing service obligations: 1) resignation/leave and 2) transfer to reserve.

My questions are:
  1. Are there other options to gurantee to be able to pick any civilian residency? (HPSP civilian deferment is very difficult)
  2. If resign commission, finish medical school+residency, then rejoin as a physician in medical corp, will thier will retain his/her previous rank?
  3. If transfer to reserve,
3.1. What reserve unit will be transfered to? IRR-VTU or SELRES or other?
3.2. Can the pilot request to be transfered to their prefered unit?
3.3. What type of drills to do to earn retirement point? Will it be too much to do the drills together with studying medicine?
3.4. Are the drills difference in each reserve unit?
3.5. If the drills location, for example NOCS, is very far from the medical school, will an officer allow to do the drills somewhere else that is near his/her medical school?
3.6. When transfered to reserve, will they considered as reserve officer? What are the difference?

Thank

speeddypat

None
Are you already a pilot or are you just looking a long ways in the future? If you're just now applying for pilot and get your wings, it'll be at least 10 years until you'll be able to apply to medical school. I did medical officer recruiting and I worked with a pilot who applied for HPSP after his commitment was up and is currently in med school. Regarding residency, the main benefit of doing it with the navy with prior service time is that it's all active duty. For the reserves, it tends to depend on the NOSC and location but it's probably challenging while in med school I imagine. Feel free to PM me if you have more questions.

Rugger

Super Moderatress
Super Moderator
Contributor
1. No guarantees

2. You are given 1/2 time credit for your previous service toward rank. My brother was a prior service Naval officer who was commissioned same year as me, finished med school & started his intern year as an O4 when I was an O5.

3. The reserves confuse me.
Hope that helps.

Hair Warrior

Contributor
My gouge is a little dated but I do know of a path from F-14 pilot to FNAEB to law school to JAG lawyer but you still get to fly Tomcats just not at night because you have night blindness except you can sometimes fly at night if you really have to or if it’s a plot device.