• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Options after not getting picked for SNA

flyman2410

Looking for some information about not getting selected for SNA out of NROTC service selection, and getting back on track to SNA pipeline after coming from another career.

Lifelong goal is to be a Pilot. Never really had much interest for the NFO or SWO community, but since I have to list other options for service selection, these are the two I am going to go with.

From what I’ve heard/read, it is possible to transfer from SWO to Pilot, or NFO to Pilot. I hear it is not an easy transition and takes lots of hard work, but if it means that one day I get to be in control of the plane as a pilot, I’d work to be the best NFO or SWO I can possibly be. I hear that you must get your SWO warfare pin before you even consider bringing up to your CoC that you’re interested in another community, as they could get the wrong idea about you if you state you wanna be a pilot from the get-go. And correct me if I’m wrong, you must go through the entire NFO career path before heading back to flight school as a SNA? Also, I have heard of asking for the switch to SNA once you are in API, though I believe this is rare. Is this still a thing?

In the end, I would like to know the fastest way to become a SNA if you are not immediately service assigned out of NROTC. Would it be putting in a year or two as a SWO, getting the pin and requesting lat transfer? Or would it be to accept the NFO assignment and try to switch once you are in Pensacola?

Any new info is appreciated. Thank you.

cfam

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Welcome to the site!

Please search around for specifics about the NFO to Pilot program. There are several threads that focus specifically on the odds of getting selected (they’re very low, as only around five NFOs are selected each year), and the specifics of the application (you have a very small window in which to apply). The NFO to Pilot program has not changed in many years, so the info you find on here will still be fairly applicable.

The lateral transfer from SWO to Pilot has similarly slim odds.

I don’t say this to deter you from pursuing a transition, but to give you a realistic idea of your chances. Take a look around the site, and feel free to ask more specific questions if the old threads don’t cover what you need.

exNavyOffRec

I worked with a medical recruiter whose brother was in a similar situation, he ended up going SWO vice NFO as he figured he could get his pin and apply for SNA right after and it worked, this was quite a while ago as he was a squadron CO about 10 years ago. Good luck to you.

Waveoff

Per Diem Mafia
None
We just had a guy in my squadron select for NFO to pilot at the end of his first sea tour, and there is also someone who picked up at the end of their shore tour. Both were well respected and highly qualified NFOs with mission commander and instructor ratings. It’s a tough balance to go about, because you still want to be rated highly enough on your evals to look good on future boards, but there’s always a chance your command would give your high ranking spot to someone else who isn’t leaving the community for flight school.
In my friends case, our chain was very supportive and he had letters of rec from current and past skippers.

Lionel Hutz

pilot
My information is somewhat dated, but I've known people who have done both (lat transferred from SWO and NFO). My perception was that it was easier for the SWOs. If nothing else, the obligated service is much shorter on the SWO side, so if you really want to fly, you could be on your way to some other flying path (SWO, ANG, AF, Army, etc) much sooner if you go SWO.

DanMa1156

Is it baseball season yet?
pilot
Contributor
My information is somewhat dated, but I've known people who have done both (lat transferred from SWO and NFO). My perception was that it was easier for the SWOs. If nothing else, the obligated service is much shorter on the SWO side, so if you really want to fly, you could be on your way to some other flying path (SWO, ANG, AF, Army, etc) much sooner if you go SWO.

Agree with the sentiment here. With that said, I suspect getting into the ANG without a military flying background as an O-3 will be a challenge, but weirder things have happened I guess. Separately, SWO Lat Txfers appear to be a lot less common nowadays than they were in the past, but I don't have hard numbers, just anecdotes. I am sure PERS-41's website would show though, there are not all that many lat txfers nowadays.

Quicker yet, turn down NFO and reapply for SNA and the other services.

I suspect this isn't an option for OP who is/was in NROTC.

Jim123

DD-214 in hand and I'm gonna party like it's 1998
pilot
For the decision of choosing SWO or NFO, with the intent to apply for a lateral transfer to SNA, the big question is which do you think you'd be better at- SWO or NFO?

For a lateral transfer you need "good paper" from your community. The boards always have that as either a precept or a requirement. Whether you work for a great, supportive boss, a terrible one, or somewhere in between, that's out of your control right now at service selection time. Whether you get orders to a command (ship or squadron) with great timing and opportunities on deployment, that's out of your control right now too. In a few~ish years if your skipper decides to withhold his/her EPs for people who want to stay in the community or if they have a philosophy that's more favorable to people with your goals, again, you won't have the benefit of hindsight until the train is already in motion.

Each community has its general pluses and minuses when it comes to your goal of being a pilot. Each community has sub-communities within that have different flavors, east coast/west coast, CRUDES, gator, carrier, frigate/LCS, VP, VQ (×3), VFA. I think that covers the main ones.

So...

Gather information (which you're already doing and doing well) and then use your best judgment to make a decision that by nature will be based on incomplete information. (That sorta sums up what line officers are supposed to do.)