• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

OCS OPNAV 1420-1 Questions (Input of anyone who's served on a selection board would be appreciated!)

Jacksta89

Hey everyone, new to posting on the site. I didn't see a specific thread for this when looking so forgive me if I missed it. I'm currently an E-3 Under Instruction at TSC Great Lakes. It's been a rough battle with just about everyone here to be able to submit my package for OCS , but thankfully it's been lightening up lately (most likely because of how persistent I've been). I had a couple questions.

The most pertinent revolves around my Personal Statement section. I filled the boxes provided, thinking it would satisfy the minimum requirement while allowing me to adequately portray the reasons, skills, and passion behind my desire to commission. However, after checking the word count, I'm sitting a lofty 515 or so words where the instructions say "limit to between 200 and 250 words." It's doable to squash my responses down, but I'm worried that with my lack of a "military resume" it would hurt my chances of showing the board why I would be a great selection. My NMTI's, a Captain I know, and my former officer recruiter (LCDR) say as long as I speak from the heart the word count shouldn't matter. My Senior Chief says he thinks a little over wouldn't be bad and another LCDR said not to go even 1 word over the limit. If anyone here has served on a selection board would you please provide me with your insight?

The second question is about my current schooling. My college career is pretty solid, however ATT is currently stumping me. Unfortunately (for this situation) my degree is focused on criminal justice and forensic psych and math/mathematical theory was never my strong suit. I'm applying for Pilot, NFO, and SWO. The deadlines are pretty close, Feb and April. I don't see anything about ATT in my JST yet, but if I mess up and rock a test or worse I don't want that to show as a blazing negative to the board. Any input?

The last question contains to whether I can obtain a certain medical waiver. I'd rather discuss over a PM. Any info would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

FormerRecruitingGuru

Making Recruiting Great Again
@TimeBomb is a good medical POC. Also a good reference is MANMED chapter 15. It breaks down what's waiverable and what's not when it comes to medical backgrounds and conditions.

As for OCS timelines, I would double check to see if your command/enlisted community will entertain a conditional release. Based off my experiences, the enlisted community is very iffy letting someone go right out of boot camp and A-school due to the amount of $$$ and time placed into your training. They typically want some return in the fleet (or wherever you go your first tour), but I could be wrong.

As for the motivational statement instructions, I would follow the directions/guidelines provided.