• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Opinions Welcome

Tex-41

Hello all, I am new to the site as of today. Woo!! :D A little about myself. I am currently enlisted in the Navy with a little over a year in service. I have been considering a commission through STA-21, but unfortunately I cannot fly like the rest of the world wants to. SO, I guess my question is: What other options are there for me? I considered NFO, but again, I'm not sure if I qualify due to eyesight. Trust me, I don't qualify. :) So I know of SWO, CEC, etc. I'm just curious as to what I could actually be doing and what I should shoot for as far as designation. Any opinions? Past experience? Thanks,

webmaster

The Grass is Greener!
pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
I considered NFO, but again, I'm not sure if I qualify due to eyesight. Trust me, I don't qualify. :)
Are you blind? Or perhaps colorblind? The tolerances for NFO are not as stringent as for pilot, plus there is the option for inservice military members to get PRK done. A few at my command have done this, though not for a commissioning program. Don't write off any possibilities.

Tex-41

Well my color vision is very good. I can distinguish between colors very well, and have blown away any colorblindness tests. I actually had surgery as an infant, and have a scar. I've been told that I can't get LASIK, LASEK, PRK, etc, etc due to the scar. But I did see that once you get into the NFO spot, and get through initial flight training, that the stipulations aren't as strict and vision can be up to 20/400. Which is about where I'm at... :( So it's a possibility, but not likely. So I'm considering other options atm

vicariousrider

War Eagle!
Hello all, I am new to the site as of today. Woo!! :D A little about myself. I am currently enlisted in the Navy with a little over a year in service. I have been considering a commission through STA-21, but unfortunately I cannot fly like the rest of the world wants to. SO, I guess my question is: What other options are there for me? I considered NFO, but again, I'm not sure if I qualify due to eyesight. Trust me, I don't qualify. :) So I know of SWO, CEC, etc. I'm just curious as to what I could actually be doing and what I should shoot for as far as designation. Any opinions? Past experience? Thanks,

Welcome to the site!

Honestly, your best bet might be the Core option if you haven't made up your mind. My only other advice would be to look into the other communities on the STA-21 website and see which one appeals to you the most. Good luck in your application!
~oz

spitfiremkxiv

Pepe's sandwich
Contributor
If your vision is correctable to 20/20 (with eyeglasses or contacts) you'll likely qualify for NFO, possibly without a waiver for visual acuity. I initially picked up NFO and later an SNA slot with a hole in the retina of my right eye, so that scar on your eye is definitely worth at least a look from the docs.

Don't let the medical aspects stop you from dreaming just yet. Although difficult to get sometimes, waivers are very common, even for applicants.

Tex-41

Wow... I did not realize that :D I've always been pretty sure pilot was out of the question, but NFO seems like it would really fit me. Kinda close to my job I'm already doing. Plus my little dream of being a Navy officer. Yea, I am scheduling an appointment this week to get a full checkout and see if I'm good to go. Maybe there is some hope. I'll keep ya posted :icon_zbee