• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Opinions needed for ASTB score and The Next Step...

bgard008

Hello Fellow AirWarriors,

I took my ASTB a few hours ago and had a hell of a time trying to complete it with all the technical and computer errors associated with the computer testing center! My recruiter instructed me that the paper test was not given anymore, so I went ahead and started on the computer test. After all was said and done I received a 4/4/4 46.

Background:
Cum Lauda- 3.6
Several college organization leadership positions help
Mass amounts of community service
3 Previous employer LOR's and a great moto statement (my opinion)
SAT score was below average but it did not show what I could actually accomplish in college.

The communities I will be submitting my package to will be SWO, AMDO, INTEL, respectively.

Questions:
1. Should I submit my package with these scores or re-test?
2. Is my score competitive with other people in those communities?
3. If I am non-select, is there a time limit on when I can apply again?
4. Are there other communities that would be better suited for my scores? (MY GOAL IS TO COMMISSION, ALTHOUGH WORKING IN A JOB I ENJOY WOULD BE GREAT)
5. Is there an addendum form I can submit to tell my story and explain the low score?
6. Should I complain about the testing site and see if this score can be wiped from my record?
7. I see that the SWO,INTEL, AMDO boards are "closed"... True statement?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

MGoBrew11

pilot
I feel your pain. The first time I took the ASTB the computer froze on me several times and I am not even sure if some of my answers registered (the freezes forced me to restart portions of the test etc.). My score was a 5/5/5 52.

My recruiter DID allow me to retake on paper and I scored an 8/8/9 61.

I would say your current scores are not competitive but I do think it is possible that your scores were not completely accurate (I still wonder if my first test was accurate because of the computer acting up). If I were you, I would study my ass off again (just in case), talk to your recruiter and come up with an alternative solution to taking the test on the same computers. I'm sure there are still NRDs that will give the written version, I took it back in January. Ask if there is a Marine NRD nearby that might be able to offer it as well.

bgard008

Impressive Scores! I'll be pushing for something in that area IF i decide to take it again. I have browsed the boards and have seen two things: 1. the boards are closed, true? 2. People with scores in the 39-46 range being accepted and ultimately selected for OCS class dates... would you say that submitting my scores with the hopes of selection would be realistic or not realistic?

Thanks.

MGoBrew11

pilot
It is getting more and more competitive to get in. I was a non-select with my first set of scores in the October '10 board. I have not been seen by a board since then.

I would say that to be competitive, especially in the current environment, you want a 55+ for OAR.

As far as boards being closed, just put together a package, tell your recruiter you want to submit and someday down the line someone will take a look. It just might take longer than it did before. I have been in the process for a full year and might not hear back for another whole year depending on what happens with the boards.

bgard008

Thank You! All that information is VERY helpful. Best of luck to you in the near future. I hope the process kicks in to high gear quickly for you...and me :)