• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Open Heart Surgery Waiver

JSVD

At the age of 16 I underwent open heart surgery to repair an aneurysm of sinus of valsalva. I have sense been cleared and never have to see a cardiologist again.

I'm in excelent physical condition - I play rugby for Elon University and I have near perfect scores for all the PT tests (each branch).

I am wondering what steps I can take to better my chances of getting a waiver for my flight physical. I already know I should have all my medical history together etc.

should I go take a stress test before the physical? Or if there's some Military Cardiologist I can see before hand to check me out and write a reccomendation?

Anyone have any experience obtaining a waiver for such a large procedure.

I honestly don't think I will get a flight physical waiver with such an odd medical history but I hope I can. If I can't I hope I can get a waiver at all so I am able to serve.

feddoc

Really old guy
Contributor
Go to the waiver guide stuck to the top of this forum. Call the physcial qualifications folks to get on the road to an accurate answer. However, my guess is that at the least, USN will send you to a cardiologist.

JSVD

Will do. Thanks for the reply.

I hope they do because my cartiologist told me if he didn't know I had surgery, he could never tell from the echo.

Brunes

pilot
I wouldn't worry about having a complex history making it hard to get a waiver. I was born with a developmental birth defect, for which I underwent regular surgeries from birth to age 9. My medical record looks like a darn novel- and I've only be in for 4 academy years plus 3 active years.

Checking out the posted guide and talking with the folks at the phys quals office like feddoc said is the only way to get a sure answer.

GOOD LUCK!!

JSVD

I've called Physical Qualifications and it always goes to voicemail. I can either enter a extension for a mailbox or leave a message for Derrek Adkins (I think). Should I just keep trying or should I leave a message. I don't really understand how the military operates yet and I don't want to waste anyones time.

I did get in contact with a USMC OSO. They indicated if I have played contact sports and score well on the fitness test it is waiverable - my hopes are still high.

torpedo0126

I wouldn't rule it out at all. I personally think NAMI/NOMI and all the related waiver stuff is one of the most unpredictable things in the Navy.

I know one person who was NQPed for having eczema, and I know another person who received a medical waiver for having a benign brain tumor. I know that's hard to believe but its true. Just saw him two weeks ago.

FENIAN

Can I go home yet?
pilot
Considering the Mayhem I went through to get my waiver approved, I may consider crying if an Open Heart Surgery waiver clears BUMED. On the enlisted side of recruiting, it is specifically disqualifying in the MPPM. If you can pass a MEPS Physical, you should be okay. Good Luck.

feddoc

Really old guy
Contributor
I've called Physical Qualifications and it always goes to voicemail. I can either enter a extension for a mailbox or leave a message for Derrek Adkins (I think). Should I just keep trying or should I leave a message. I don't really understand how the military operates yet and I don't want to waste anyones time.

I did get in contact with a USMC OSO. They indicated if I have played contact sports and score well on the fitness test it is waiverable - my hopes are still high.

Leave a message, follow up end of the week with another call.

Tom

pilot
Contributor
Considering the Mayhem I went through to get my waiver approved, I may consider crying if an Open Heart Surgery waiver clears BUMED. On the enlisted side of recruiting, it is specifically disqualifying in the MPPM. If you can pass a MEPS Physical, you should be okay. Good Luck.
Passing MEPS has nothing to do with NAMI. The medical standards at MEPS are for entry in the Navy and have nothing to do with a flight physical (assuming he's going aviation). I passed MEPS and got NPQ'ed at NAMI

FENIAN

Can I go home yet?
pilot
Passing MEPS has nothing to do with NAMI. The medical standards at MEPS are for entry in the Navy and have nothing to do with a flight physical (assuming he's going aviation). I passed MEPS and got NPQ'ed at NAMI

To further explain: I know I had to have a valid MEPS physical before I had a NAMI/NOMI phys scheduled. The open heart surgery is not likely to make it past a MEPS phys, but if it does, he statistically has at least a 66% chance of being approved. I understand there is an exception to this SOMEWHERE on this forum or someone may know a guy...but this is the case on the Marine side. (See OP)

JSVD

I wouldn't rule it out at all. I personally think NAMI/NOMI and all the related waiver stuff is one of the most unpredictable things in the Navy.

I know one person who was NQPed for having eczema, and I know another person who received a medical waiver for having a benign brain tumor. I know that's hard to believe but its true. Just saw him two weeks ago.

I'm not ruling anything out till I get the official 'no'.

Considering the Mayhem... Any tips for someone who will probobly go through the same thing?

Leave a message, follow up end of the week with another call.

Done, thanks.

I would like to fly, but if that is not possible I would still be thrilled to serve in any way... right now i'm focusing on MEPS. If by chance I get though I'll give NAMI a shot.

Tom

pilot
Contributor
Be proactive, be kind to the medical staff and keep copies of everything with you for every medical appointment. Good luck.

torpedo0126

Be proactive, be kind to the medical staff and keep copies of everything with you for every medical appointment. Good luck.

He's right on with copies. Can't tell you how much copies have streamlined the last 5 years of my life.

JSVD

I got through with the physical qualifications guys and they told me they can't say if it's waiverable or not untill i get through the MEPS physical. Anyone have any URLs, or contacts for a MEPS or BUMED office?

Edit: Contacted MEPS - they told me that I was calling the wrong place and have to talk to my recruiter. As said before Marine OSO office said that if I played contact sports i probobly can get a waiver. I wanted more of a definitive answer but it's time to get my application together and see what happens