• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

OHA while at OCS for family

kyg9505

Good morning from Japan!

I have a question regarding housing allowance. I read a bunch on BAH, but could not find any information regarding OHA. We are currently stationed in Japan, and if my family decides to stay out here while I am attending OCS. Would I receive OHA? Thank you!!

My spouse is Japanese BTW, so she does not need SOFA status.

DanMa1156

Is it baseball season yet?
pilot
Contributor
Good morning from Japan!

I have a question regarding housing allowance. I read a bunch on BAH, but could not find any information regarding OHA. We are currently stationed in Japan, and if my family decides to stay out here while I am attending OCS. Would I receive OHA? Thank you!!

My spouse is Japanese BTW, so she does not need SOFA status.

I think you're going to have a few issues here, possibly, and pardon me for not knowing everything there, but:

1. If she's there on SOFA and you're getting OHA for dependents, and you have permission from her to remain in Japan, that won't be an issue. You need permission from both your own command and from CNFJ; they work out the details with the Japanese government to keep a SOFA sponsored person around. There are a couple of different tiers of what level of support they get.

1.A. That's dependent on if you're going to OCS as a TDY or as a PCS. I actually never thought about this and don't know the answer and neither really make sense to me. If it's TDY, then, you have no reason to worry about it. If it's a PCS, you need to talk with your legal and admin departments to get the right paperwork for her to stay as a SOFA sponsor and for you to continue collecting OHA. Do you have a PCS order to your ultimate duty station (Flight School presumably?) with OCS as an I-Stop? If that's the case, you should be able to argue in the paperwork pretty easily she should stay for the duration of your time at OCS. Ultimately, my experience was that the folks at CNFJ were very reasonable, but absolutely needed the paperwork in earrrrrly (60+ days) and done completely correctly.

kyg9505

Thank you for that info sir! Does that mean the only way for my family to get OHA in Japan while I attend OCS is for them to be SOFA? How can they be SOFA if I am not stationed in Japan anymore?

DanMa1156

Is it baseball season yet?
pilot
Contributor
Thank you for that info sir! Does that mean the only way for my family to get OHA in Japan while I attend OCS is for them to be SOFA? How can they be SOFA if I am not stationed in Japan anymore?

You have to look at the instructions, and your base & CNFJ will have the applicable ones. With that said, is she not there on SOFA already? Does the Navy know you are married? Does she have an ID? Is she on your current set of orders to Japan?

TimeBomb

Noise, vibration and harshness
JFTR and MILPERSMAN are probably going to be the places to start your background research. Used to be that housing allowances were driven solely by the member's UIC. As DanMa1156 notes, a PCS set of orders to OCS would get you paid at the Newport rate. For example, we had folks who had orders to Camp Pendleton, but wanted to keep living in San Diego. They got the Pendleton COLA, which as I recall, was way less than the SD COLA.

Is what you're looking to do common? I never came across that scenario as a detailer.

V/R