• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Officer Wedding Uniform Question

TwinsFan

Hi,

I am going to OCS in a few months, and have plans for a wedding in October of 2010. I tried to use the search function, but I still have questions.

Even with the wedding in October (in Minnesota) could I wear any dress uniform, even summer whites? It basically boils down to my fiancee wanting to know what colors I could wear. That way she can plan her bridesmaid colors etc.. around it. I just want to find out what would be typical for a guy in my situation.

Its her day, and I want to figure out what options I have for her. Also, do dress blues really show more as black? My fiancee is thinking dark browns as her bridesmaids and black wouldn't go well with that I guess??

Im clueless when it comes to fashion, color schemes, whatever... any help is appreciated. Thanks.

"The Brick"

The Brick
pilot
It's your wedding brother....do what you want, no one will walk up to you on your wedding day and tell you 'that your in the wrong uniform'. I have been a part of several military weddings and we would go as far as to wear a different uniform than the groom just so he would stand out, since it is his day and all (or should i say her's).
-S/F

Spekkio

He bowls overhand.
It's your wedding; wear whatever dress uniform you'd like.

SDBs are, in fact, black in appearance.

helolumpy

Apprentice School Principal
pilot
Contributor
October will probably be the 'season' for Blues, but like my shipmates said, no one is going to call you on it either way.
Just make sure you're clear with your fiancee if you're going with whites (recommend chokers rather than summer, looks far more impressive), some folks get upset if someone other than the bride wears white.

If you have the cash, Mess Dress is always the best for weddings, but that's just my opinion.

TwinsFan

Thanks for the replies. I'll show her a lineup and see how it goes.

Yea a friend of mine was a LCDR and I saw him in dress blues, but they looked black. Are they even navy blue at all? Or should I just refer to them as straight black to my fiancee?

HH-60H

Manager
pilot
Contributor
Thanks for the replies. I'll show her a lineup and see how it goes.

Yea a friend of mine was a LCDR and I saw him in dress blues, but they looked black. Are they even navy blue at all? Or should I just refer to them as straight black to my fiancee?

No, they are definitely navy blue.

FlyBoyd

Out to Pasture
pilot
They look black until you are standing next to real black.

I recommend Dinner Dress Blues. There are two versions. One has a gold cummerbund with gold buttons/cuff links and a black tie. The Formal Dress variation is the most formal, and is identical to the Dinner Dress Blue Jacket uniform but worn with a white waistcoat with gold buttons in place of the cummerbund, a white bow tie, and matching mother-of-pearl studs and cuff links (no cover). I pull this one out every now and then. Buy the Dinner dress now if you can. They aren't required until O-4 but I found them more comfortable than SDBs or Chokers.

B&W pics here http://www.npc.navy.mil/CommandSupp...tions/Chapter3/MaleOfficer/MaleOfficerFormal/

Main Page here if you need a list of components, proper wear, etc http://www.npc.navy.mil/CommandSupport/USNavyUniforms/UniformRegulations/

villanelle

Nihongo dame desu
Contributor
If she's really into wedding details and colors and such things, don't just say they are black. If they are put next to real black, you can tell that they are blue. When by themselves with nothing to compare them to, they look black.

Tell her that some girl on the interwebs told you to explain it exactly like that.

I wouldn't have cared if DH's uniform shade didn't match the bridesmaid dresses, but there are many brides who would, and you don't want to be the asshole who messes with the vision of their wedding they've had since in-utero days by saying something is black when it isn't 100% black.

I think chokers are the best looking uniform. There is a reason that when the Top Gun guys weren't in flight suits, cruising around the locker room in tighty whities, or playing volleyball in denim, they were in chokers. :tongue2_1

Angels

Contributor
October will probably be the 'season' for Blues, but like my shipmates said, no one is going to call you on it either way.
Just make sure you're clear with your fiancee if you're going with whites (recommend chokers rather than summer, looks far more impressive), some folks get upset if someone other than the bride wears white.

If you have the cash, Mess Dress is always the best for weddings, but that's just my opinion.
I don't know..I thought my hubby looked pretty damn good in white next to me! :D Totally agree on the chokers over summer whites! To the OP Congrats on the upcoming nuptials!

Attachments

• Ken&Rebecca 027.jpg
    Ken&Rebecca 027.jpg
    887.1 KB · Views: 327

ChunksJR

Retired.
pilot
Contributor
I don't know..I thought my hubby looked pretty damn good in white next to me! :D Totally agree on the chokers over summer whites! To the OP Congrats on the upcoming nuptials!

Yeah, but my wife's dress was "off white..." So...for our August wedding I wore Formal Dress...it actually was pretty money...and continues to gather dust in my closet....

Dare you to wear Dress Trops :icon_smil

OUSOONER

Crusty Shellback
pilot
Choker whites FTW.... here I am with my wife. You get bonus points if you have a sweet fade like me.

6480_136262501907_509031907_3378580_105789_n.jpg

Casual

Jammin'
None
Wear whatever you want. I rocked SDBs for my wedding in Hawaii. Whites are always in season there, but whatever.

BACONATOR

pilot
Contributor
Hi,

I am going to OCS in a few months, and have plans for a wedding in October of 2010. I tried to use the search function, but I still have questions.

Even with the wedding in October (in Minnesota) could I wear any dress uniform, even summer whites? It basically boils down to my fiancee wanting to know what colors I could wear. That way she can plan her bridesmaid colors etc.. around it. I just want to find out what would be typical for a guy in my situation.

Its her day, and I want to figure out what options I have for her. Also, do dress blues really show more as black? My fiancee is thinking dark browns as her bridesmaids and black wouldn't go well with that I guess??

Im clueless when it comes to fashion, color schemes, whatever... any help is appreciated. Thanks.

While you can wear anything you like, generally, unless it's a high-summer wedding, I'd presume that SDBs are probably more suitable as a wedding uniform.

I'm going to a wedding myself next weekend. I am wearing my SDBs. Most important thing is to ask the bride what she prefers. Generally, with a wedding most others will be wearing suits and/or tuxedos so SDBs is a safe bet.

The most important thing is to not outshine or draw attention away from the bride or groom.

rare21

pilot
Contributor
Just remember all the military folks in uniform (hopefully not the groom) are going to get piss drunk and look like crap in their uniforms when the night is over (hopefully if the wedding is that fun). I went to an Army wedding in SDBs a long time ago fell back in my chair a number of times, rode the elevator just for the fun of it and got scolded by hotel security to not inhale the helium balloons from the high school prom in the other event center. I woke up not remembering a darn thing and my wife being very mad at me. I wasnt happy getting emailed pictures of a bunch of military OFFICERS in dress uniforms inhaling balloons and throwing lawn furniture into the hotel pool. But damn it was fun.