• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Officer Opportunities

CLAM97to99

I was just wanting to know how easy or what the chances are to join the reserves as an officer.
From what I have seen so far it is almost impossible to join the reserves at all. It took me almost 6 months to get a reserve recruiter to call me (I filled out 4 online requests and called the 800 number once) then when he does of course it is at the most inopportune time. I asked him to call back in 30 min and of course he never did. I finally called him back and got his voice mail and left him a message, which was of course never returned.

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I was just wanting to know how easy or what the chances are to join the reserves as an officer.
From what I have seen so far it is almost impossible to join the reserves at all. It took me almost 6 months to get a reserve recruiter to call me (I filled out 4 online requests and called the 800 number once) then when he does of course it is at the most inopportune time. I asked him to call back in 30 min and of course he never did. I finally called him back and got his voice mail and left him a message, which was of course never returned.
What are you qualified for? The Reserves offers direct commissions only. To get a direct commission most programs require civilian or past military experience in that field. Your bio implies you are still at OCS out processing. Most recruiters will consider you a very low priority until you have been release from active duty. If you mentioned an NPQ then your stock went even lower. They need people. Just certain types.

KungFu

you will never get contacted if you go through the website. Maybe it is just a test to see how much people really want to get in. I just called my local recruiter headquarters, and eventually got a hold of the reserve officer recuiter. Then it was even more work with other people and forms...etc. etc. I still haven't even met any of the people I am working with in person.

I have learned not to rely on any of those guys. If you want to be an officer, you are the one responsible for making it happen.

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
you will never get contacted if you go through the website.
Well, not never. I have called back on quite a few over the years. Problem is, we had gotten hundreds of those pesky internet lead cards. Frankly, the internet leads historically have been low probability producers of quality leads. So when it comes to time management, the recruiter puts responding to those leads low on his list of things to do. Taking some action is required, however, so you generally get a canned email from a recruiter or a letter. It is true, the best way to get info is to talk to the recruiter. Get on the web and find out where your Navy Recruiting Dist. HQ is, and give them a call. Ask for the OPO shop (Officer Programs Office) and a Reserve recruiter. They may refer you to one in a out station or reserve center (sorry operational support center) closer to you.